Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM

289 posts, read 306,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
The magic words you've said here are "reasonable commute"... I'd define this as 15 minutes... which now eliminates ALL of Broward county if you work in Dade. You seem to define this as 1.5 hours... which is nuts.
Whoa. Where in the civilized country is a "reasonable commute" defined as 15 minutes? When I lived in central Brooklyn (just south of the park) and commuted to Midtown, my commute was reasonable, at 45 minutes each way by subway or bicycle. Before that, when I lived in Brooklyn and worked in Jersey, my commute was about an hour, and I still considered it reasonable, as did the literally millions of people who had essentially that commute.

A reasonable commute in a large, thriving metro area (including NYC, Boston, Hartford, Chicago, Dalas/Houston/Austin, SF, LA, or Seattle) is usually seen as about an hour or less each way.

Remeber, "reasonable" doesn't mean "your perfect, ideal situation". Reasonable means "within reason", or to put it another way, something that the average person in a similar situation would look at and not be shocked by. Something expected or customary. 15 minutes is not really an expected or customary commute anywhere within a major metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,661,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Not to get in the middle of this slap fight or anything, but I think it's a little bit funny that someone in the Miami forum points to a $300k home with a pool as a sign of affluence. This in an area where you can easily spend a million dollars on a 700 sq. ft. condo.
To be fair, I wouldn't call it affluence, but a $300k home with a pool is a pretty decent standard of living. I'm a bit humble, so I get what he's saying. I would just rather spend $300k on a pool home in a better area if I'm going that route

My guess is that Sugah Ray has a $300k home with a pool in west Miami and is very defensive about it.

We can use this one for reference.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29...44238647_zpid/

Last edited by BNBR; 07-05-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM

11,186 posts, read 16,109,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
No sorry, I don't think this needs any interpretation. This is a quote, not what what "I think you said"

You are coming to OUR forum just to post this kind of s..t about the place we live. West Dade is no freaking dump. Dumps don't have 300k+ pool homes anywhere in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Not to get in the middle of this slap fight or anything, but I think it's a little bit funny that someone in the Miami forum points to a $300k home with a pool as a sign of affluence. This in an area where you can easily spend a million dollars on a 700 sq. ft. condo.
Well, if you're going to jump into the middle of their slap-fight, at least try to stick to the facts as presented. Nowhere in Sugah Ray's post does he state or even imply that a $300k home with a pool is a sign of affluence. He merely stated that areas with such homes cannot be categorized as "dumps." I'm sure you can agree that there is a vast middle ground between an area that is a dump and one that is affluent, right? There's no reason to mischaracterize what Sugah Ray said in order to try to make a point.

Although both combatants have made both good and bad points in the course of their argument(s), the only absolutely ridiculous statement that has been made is that "it's common knowledge" that "most of Dade County is a dump."

I can understand someone preferring to live in western Broward county as opposed to Dade, but to call Dade a dump is simply moronic.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,661,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, if you're going to jump into the middle of their slap-fight, at least try to stick to the facts as presented. Nowhere in Sugah Ray's post does he state or even imply that a $300k home with a pool is a sign of affluence. He merely stated that areas with such homes cannot be categorized as "dumps." I'm sure you can agree that there is a vast middle ground between an area that is a dump and one that is affluent, right? There's no reason to mischaracterize what Sugah Ray said in order to try to make a point.

Although both combatants have made both good and bad points in the course of their argument(s), the only absolutely ridiculous statement that has been made is that "it's common knowledge" that "most of Dade County is a dump."

I can understand someone preferring to live in western Broward county as opposed to Dade, but to call Dade a dump is simply moronic.
One mans dump is another mans "lesser neighborhood but totally fine with $300k pool homes". You guys don't get to define "dump" and how that relates to how someone may categorize certain areas. You are taking that term far, far too literal. I find west Dade totally unappealing in just about every sense. So I refer to it as "dump" - sorry if that offends you guys. It's just a general term and obviously not terribly literal.

As I said, here is a $350k west Dade pool home. The term "dump" comes to mind for me, maybe that's a palace for you?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29...44238647_zpid/

Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 PM

11,186 posts, read 16,109,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
One mans dump is another mans "lesser neighborhood but totally fine with $300k pool homes". You guys don't get to define "dump" and how that relates to how someone may categorize certain areas. You are taking that term far, far too literal. I find west Dade totally unappealing in just about every sense. So I refer to it as "dump" - sorry if that offends you guys. It's just a general term and obviously not terribly literal.
First of all, you didn't say west Dade, you said most of Dade.

Secondly, I'm not offended in the least; I was merely correcting an erroneous inference made by another poster. As far as I'm concerned, you can say or write anything your little heart desires. If you want to come across to others as ignorant and ridiculous, that's fine with me.

Just as "we" don't get to define what dump means to you, you don't get to define how others view you.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 PM

289 posts, read 306,801 times
Quote:

If you transform that price into a ratio of home price to median home price, and then superimpose that on the median national price, it becomes equivalent to a home valued at $224,525 in a representative median American city. I've seen median American cities, and I've seen homes valued at just a hair over $200k in median American cities, and they're largely dumps.

But as BNBR said a little bit earlier, dump is a relative term. I grew up in a town where the median home price is currently about $1.5 million. That's median, not mean. To me, a $300k home IS a dump, if only because the price being so low can only mean that it's in an undesirable area with few high-end amenities. Then again, I've also spent time living in a double-wide trailer in a town where the median home price was $100,000, so compared to that, I'm sure it's not bad. It's all about context, and in an area where new homes are selling for half a million and up, I would classify a $300k home with a pool as a relative dump.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM

874 posts, read 908,430 times
One man's dump is another man's palace... far too many people in this world live in huts with mud floors... and I've been to visit more than one of them. Rather than talking about dumps, maybe we should focus instead on what contributes to quality of life? A reasonable commute, access to public services, parks, etc?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,915,591 times
I live in a "dump" in far west Kendall. I prefer it over the beach. Don't like parking nightmares, density is even worse than here, much dirtier, events make the area even more crazy, I don't like nightlife and partying. Everyone has their own preferences and likes and dislikes. When I go to the beach a few times a year I prefer Key Biscayne. I go during the week and I've never had parking issues.

I'd trade up to Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay, but that's a lot more money so the western suburbs is where I am.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,013,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
To be fair, I wouldn't call it affluence, but a $300k home with a pool is a pretty decent standard of living. I'm a bit humble, so I get what he's saying. I would just rather spend $300k on a pool home in a better area if I'm going that route

My guess is that Sugah Ray has a $300k home with a pool in west Miami and is very defensive about it.

We can use this one for reference.

2930 SW 122nd Ave, Miami, FL 33175 | MLS #A10077829 | Zillow
I'm not defensive about "West Miami" but anyway let's get something straight because this is kind of annoying me already:

We call West Miami a city that's is called West Miami(p. 5,965) not all western suburbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Miami,_Florida

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 07-05-2016 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,013,627 times
Quote:
First of all, you didn't say west Dade, you said most of Dade.

Secondly, I'm not offended in the least; I was merely correcting an erroneous inference made by another poster. As far as I'm concerned, you can say or write anything your little heart desires. If you want to come across to others as ignorant and ridiculous, that's fine with me.

Just as "we" don't get to define what dump means to you, you don't get to define how others view you.
Now you are being accused of being defensive too? My God.

BNRB you are a very confrontational person. LOL We are discussing places, why do you have to make this personal?

As far as I can remember MadManofBethesda lives in the coastal areas of Miami-Dade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami