Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,167 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I did a search, but nothing seemed to fit me exactly so I figured I'd ask for advice from the community. I live in Denver right now, I'm originally from New York and I lived in Las Vegas for a little. Anyway, I'm graduating in mid-may with a BA in psychology and a minor in anthropology, and I'm headed to FIU to study languages on a pretty major scholarship.

I have an extensive work history and, now with my degree, I don't see it as being too hard to find a job somewhere, even though I'll probably get something just above minimum wage until I find something better. Long story short though, I'm moving without a job lined up since I'm going to be a student.

With loans, I'll be able to survive a few months jobless, even though I'm planning on finding something low-paying immediately. I'm 20, so I can't work in bars or anything like that yet, but I'll probably find something.

On to living requirements: I'm trying to wrangle some friends into moving with me, but it isn't going all that well and so I'll probably end up living alone. I'd like a one bedroom apartment, but a studio is fine if the price difference is that great. I've been living with roommates for years, but I've never enjoyed living with total strangers so either my friends move with me or I live alone.

I'd like to live by the beach. I have a motorcycle's license and I'm probably going to bring my car down there if I don't trade it for another bike, so transportation isn't an issue. The water is, however. I don't care about clubs or bars, I really don't like to drink all that much anyway.

If possible, I'd like to live by old people. Not in any way a requirement, but I know that those neighborhoods are probably safer and quieter than some of the others I might find.

I have no pets, I speak some spanish but not enough to really get by on in a predominantly spanish neighborhood, I'm planning on living alone unless I can get a buddy to move with me and I don't care about parks. Again, beach is ideal because I like to wake up early and go running and/or swimming. I don't mind living in hispanic neighborhoods, but the language barrier may become an issue.

Finally, price: I'd like to find something for 500-650, tops, not including utilities. I've always lived urban, so I know that some crime is inevitable, though I'd prefer a safer area. Speaking in terms of New York neighborhoods, I want Queens or Brooklyn, not Harlem or the Bronx. Lower-middle and middle class neighborhoods are fine.

Somewhere near a 24-hour gym wouldn't hurt, but its only a frill, not a requirement. I'm planning on being there for about 2 to 3 years on this degree, and then moving out of the country since my degree is entirely internationally based. FIU campus isn't important, but I think its University Park. Again, I'll find a way to commute so I wouldn't worry about that.

P.S. Don't remember if I said it, moving out there in either early July or early August, preferably the former.

P.P.S. In terms of expenses, I spend around 150$ a month on groceries, 100$ a month on gas in a car, more like 15$ a month on my bike, 40$~ a month on electricity and 40$ a month on internet. I don't get cable or anything like that, and I really don't use that much power though I'm sure that'll double considering the AC costs.

P.P.P.S. Do you just keep adding P's? I don't know. Either way, I wanted to mention that I repeatedly saw the neighborhood of Brickell pop up; does anyone know any good complexes in that area? It sounds like a good deal, if I can find something closer to my price range. I'm used to Denver prices, but I used to live in New York and I'll probably put up a little bit more if the areas perfect for my needs, because anything is justifiable after the expenses of that.

__________________________________________________ ____________
EDIT:

to add, I didn't mean to sound like a shut in with the old people thing. I have no problem living around people, I love people and I don't mind noise. I totally understand the fact that, living on the beach in a vacation area, there will of course be noise, and lots of it. That's part of the reason I'm moving. I just meant that I value safety over partying here, because I've lived in a crap neighborhood in Denver the last two years and I'd rather somewhere I can walk around after the sun goes down. Plus, old people like to live by scenery, and compared to the bread factory across the street, just about any scenery would probably make me climax. Also, flooding isn't a huge problem, I'll just be smart about how or where I park and carry a screw driver on my keys to drain my engine.

RECAP: I'm male, age 20, with a BA in psychology moving with no job but plenty in student aid and scholarships, going to school. I would like to live by the beach, and price is important to me.

Last edited by alomando; 04-25-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM

119 posts, read 312,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alomando View Post
Hi there. I did a search, but nothing seemed to fit me exactly so I figured I'd ask for advice from the community. I live in Denver right now, I'm originally from New York and I lived in Las Vegas for a little. Anyway, I'm graduating in mid-may with a BA in psychology and a minor in anthropology, and I'm headed to FIU to study languages on a pretty major scholarship.

I have an extensive work history and, now with my degree, I don't see it as being too hard to find a job somewhere, even though I'll probably get something just above minimum wage until I find something better. Long story short though, I'm moving without a job lined up since I'm going to be a student.

With loans, I'll be able to survive a few months jobless, even though I'm planning on finding something low-paying immediately. I'm 20, so I can't work in bars or anything like that yet, but I'll probably find something.

On to living requirements: I'm trying to wrangle some friends into moving with me, but it isn't going all that well and so I'll probably end up living alone. I'd like a one bedroom apartment, but a studio is fine if the price difference is that great. I've been living with roommates for years, but I've never enjoyed living with total strangers so either my friends move with me or I live alone.

I'd like to live by the beach. I have a motorcycle's license and I'm probably going to bring my car down there if I don't trade it for another bike, so transportation isn't an issue. The water is, however. I don't care about clubs or bars, I really don't like to drink all that much anyway.

If possible, I'd like to live by old people. Not in any way a requirement, but I know that those neighborhoods are probably safer and quieter than some of the others I might find.

I have no pets, I speak some spanish but not enough to really get by on in a predominantly spanish neighborhood, I'm planning on living alone unless I can get a buddy to move with me and I don't care about parks. Again, beach is ideal because I like to wake up early and go running and/or swimming. I don't mind living in hispanic neighborhoods, but the language barrier may become an issue.

Finally, price: I'd like to find something for 500-650, tops, not including utilities. I've always lived urban, so I know that some crime is inevitable, though I'd prefer a safer area. Speaking in terms of New York neighborhoods, I want Queens or Brooklyn, not Harlem or the Bronx. Lower-middle and middle class neighborhoods are fine.

Somewhere near a 24-hour gym wouldn't hurt, but its only a frill, not a requirement. I'm planning on being there for about 2 to 3 years on this degree, and then moving out of the country since my degree is entirely internationally based. FIU campus isn't important, but I think its University Park. Again, I'll find a way to commute so I wouldn't worry about that.

P.S. Don't remember if I said it, moving out there in either early July or early August, preferably the former.

P.P.S. In terms of expenses, I spend around 150$ a month on groceries, 100$ a month on gas in a car, more like 15$ a month on my bike, 40$~ a month on electricity and 40$ a month on internet. I don't get cable or anything like that, and I really don't use that much power though I'm sure that'll double considering the AC costs.

P.P.P.S. Do you just keep adding P's? I don't know. Either way, I wanted to mention that I repeatedly saw the neighborhood of Brickell pop up; does anyone know any good complexes in that area? It sounds like a good deal, if I can find something closer to my price range. I'm used to Denver prices, but I used to live in New York and I'll probably put up a little bit more if the areas perfect for my needs, because anything is justifiable after the expenses of that.

__________________________________________________ ____________
EDIT:

to add, I didn't mean to sound like a shut in with the old people thing. I have no problem living around people, I love people and I don't mind noise. I totally understand the fact that, living on the beach in a vacation area, there will of course be noise, and lots of it. That's part of the reason I'm moving. I just meant that I value safety over partying here, because I've lived in a crap neighborhood in Denver the last two years and I'd rather somewhere I can walk around after the sun goes down. Plus, old people like to live by scenery, and compared to the bread factory across the street, just about any scenery would probably make me climax. Also, flooding isn't a huge problem, I'll just be smart about how or where I park and carry a screw driver on my keys to drain my engine.

RECAP: I'm male, age 20, with a BA in psychology moving with no job but plenty in student aid and scholarships, going to school. I would like to live by the beach, and price is important to me.

Dude Miami really sucks...no one is that intelligent and South beach is a cross between gays and thugs If you want to go to a beach town for college try Jax Beach or Pensacola area also Sarasota sounds like a nice place for you... Miami is dirty poor and third world like living in a latin American country but having 20% of it be Haitian...

Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
too long, didnt bother reading it.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,065 times
I think your price range is a bit too low. 650 is like the bare minimum for a studio apartment in a crappy neighborhood 10 miles from the beach. If you want to live close to the beach, you will have to go over 1000.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American1476 View Post
Dude Miami really sucks...no one is that intelligent and South beach is a cross between gays and thugs If you want to go to a beach town for college try Jax Beach or Pensacola area also Sarasota sounds like a nice place for you... Miami is dirty poor and third world like living in a latin American country but having 20% of it be Haitian...
This person has no idea what he/she is talking about dont listen to Miami Haters that hate like this. Of course Miami has its negative sides but so does ANY city.

Anyway basically all you had to say was beach, safe, quiet cheap. Unfortunately you cant find cheap and beach together. $650 is not going to get you ANYTHING near the beach or in the Brickell area which is near the bay. That is a low price range. That price range can get you in some not so great neighborhoods close to the ocean 10-15min drive or some ok neighborhoods in the western suburbs near FIU.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,319 times
There are some studios in Sobe within that price range, but very hard to find, and definetly nothing fancy. Specially a bit north, between 30th and 40th st an indian creek or collins you might find something.

I used to pay 700 in sunny isles, this is one of the safest areas, near aventura, and I was just a couple of blocks from the beach, still the beach was not that good, old Rich people mostly living in the condos over the beach and russians, not very exiting, boring but safe.
brickel is nice, but expensive, and you are not that close to the beach.
As far as I know the only gym opening 24hs it's golds gym, in south beach, and it's expensive.
I think south beach its the place for you, all tourists are there, and you can safely walk at night, many people in Miami hate Sobe because of that, but if you are used to live in major cities like NY Miami is going to be like a small town and sobe should be the closest thing if you want a city vibe.

In Miami it's hard to get a good Job right now, keep that in mind, if you work for tourist related stuff, restaurants, bars, hotels and stuff like that, there is work, specially on season, when people come down from the north, but its very hard to get better jobs..on the good side it's not very expensive to live in Miami. If you lived in NY coming to Miami is definatly a downgrade, it's a city for turists, and people that like to party on clubs, if that's your thing you will fit in, if not you might find it boring, not that many things to do...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,167 times
hey, thank you guys for all of the responses, they are much appreciated

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM

96 posts, read 210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alelubart View Post
As far as I know the only gym opening 24hs it's golds gym, in south beach, and it's expensive.
There's a 24 Hour Fitness on Grand Ave right on top of the FedEx Kinkos (or whatever it's called this week) and I believe they have locations in Kendall. There's also a 24 Hr. F. in Miramar, decently close to Adventura.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 PM

278 posts, read 621,802 times
600 will get u a house in pensacola or 1 bedroom in MIA.
u need more money.
NYCs cost of living is cheaper than MIA. why? you woulnt need a car in NYC.

also MIAs economy fuels all the other FLA counties. MIA has the most quantity of expressway tolls per capita and sales tax revenues.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM

193 posts, read 371,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago33 View Post
There's a 24 Hour Fitness on Grand Ave right on top of the FedEx Kinkos (or whatever it's called this week) and I believe they have locations in Kendall. There's also a 24 Hr. F. in Miramar, decently close to Adventura.
Porkys in Kendall is 24 hour I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami