Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,645,394 times

Advertisements

I got this off of Life Extension Foundation about what nutritionally is good for our brains especially as we age over time.

1. Challenging your brain (games, puzzles, New tasks etc.. etc.)
2. Daily low dose asprin
3. Supplement with Vitamins C and E
4. Use Folic acid and other B vitamins
5. Use spices Tumeric, Ginger and Red Pepper
6. Consume Omega 3 Fatty Acids
7. Consume fresh fruits and Vege's
8. Reduce intake of Polyunsaturate oils (Sunflower, Corn and Safflower oils)

I'll add....Exercise ... as i've seen alot of clinical research showing exercise slowing or preventing dementia and alzheimer plaque's.

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=7801&Section
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,461,566 times
I thought safflower oil was okay. It's not?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,705,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Most ppl did but I am afraid any type of vegetable oil is not. Truth is Polyunsaturated fat is the cause of most heart problems due to its inflammatory effects on the body including the heart. The only sources of polyunsaturated fat that are good are those from fish such as salmon.

The two best fats are Monounsaturated, Omega 3s and yes you guessed it Saturated fat (depending on source). All we heard for years is saturated fat was the killer...the whole myth started on BS research.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Okay, so I should cook all my food in olive oil? That's good for me, right?

I take salmon oil everyday.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I should cook all my food in olive oil? That's good for me, right?

I take salmon oil everyday.
Actually olive oil goes rancid rather quick and has a low flash point. I strongly reccomend extra virgin cocunut oil for cooking. Use the extra virgin olive oil for salads. I also use the olive oil on food that is already cooked. Occasionally I will even take a tablespoon on its own.

Make sure its legit extra virgin olive oil. With olive oil you get what you pay for.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM

I've never had rancid olive oil. The stuff I buy at Trader Joe's seems to work just fine.

I have some E.V. coconut oil.... lovely smell! AND... you can rub it on your body!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I've never had rancid olive oil. The stuff I buy at Trader Joe's seems to work just fine.

I have some E.V. coconut oil.... lovely smell! AND... you can rub it on your body!!!

Olive oil is not a great oil to cook with because its chemichal structure changes when heated.

Cocunut oil is great for anything internally or externally...good stuff

Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Most ppl did but I am afraid any type of vegetable oil is not. Truth is Polyunsaturated fat is the cause of most heart problems due to its inflammatory effects on the body including the heart. The only sources of polyunsaturated fat that are good are those from fish such as salmon.

The two best fats are Monounsaturated, Omega 3s and yes you guessed it Saturated fat (depending on source). All we heard for years is saturated fat was the killer...the whole myth started on BS research.
Great post CleanCutHippie .

Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Not really .....as that's why they hydrogenate it alot (transfat) to keep it from going rancid .

Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 PM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Something like this, because I'm too tired to look for a better source.

Fat Is Gross Right? Well Find Out Which Types Are Good Or Bad Fats For Your Health | Reviews On - Our Best Unbiased Review Of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health