Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,295 times

Advertisements

My partner and I love to camp and have read a lot of blogs, etc. about different camping spots on the island. After reading about robberies and petty theft on this forum though, I'm wondering about the wisdom of this. We want to camp at legit campgrounds at various parts of the island and just skip the resorts. If we are not in harm's way bodily, will we constantly be at risk for a car break in? Would renting a car with a trunk vs. small economy hatchback make a difference? I'm thinking it's harder to break into a trunk. We really want to enjoy the outdoors and do this, but is it just crazy? We will be in Maui for a week (and Kauai for a week). We do have a friend on each island where we can stay for a day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Of course the risk level goes up when you camp - make sure you get full coverage on the car and people always know where you are. You'll probably be fine.

Your question isn't much different than asking if it will rain - it may or it may not. Something may happen or it may not.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:14 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixiechick View Post
My partner and I love to camp and have read a lot of blogs, etc. about different camping spots on the island. After reading about robberies and petty theft on this forum though, I'm wondering about the wisdom of this. We want to camp at legit campgrounds at various parts of the island and just skip the resorts. If we are not in harm's way bodily, will we constantly be at risk for a car break in? Would renting a car with a trunk vs. small economy hatchback make a difference? I'm thinking it's harder to break into a trunk. We really want to enjoy the outdoors and do this, but is it just crazy? We will be in Maui for a week (and Kauai for a week). We do have a friend on each island where we can stay for a day or two.

I think the trunk idea is a good one! Don't have anything visible. Also, most new rent-a-cars have alarms. Pick camping spots where you camp close to your vehicle, at least you'll get a warning if someones tampering with the car.....

Old 11-05-2016, 10:38 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Some of the campgrounds have become homeless colonies. Break ins would be the least of your worries at those places. At "kite beach" a haole was beaten to death this year. That is an extremely rare event but it has happened. Do your research properly before.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:34 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
There are really slim pickings for camping on Maui--really a shame the county doesn't provide more campgrounds. The "kite beach" is the one by the airport, and the kites are windsurfers, so it is windy. I was here 10 years ago and it was sketchy back then. I guess a beach park on a dead end road behind the airport attracts the wrong crowd who has nowhere else to go.

The campgrounds up on Haleakala (Hosmer grove in the NP and Polipoli in the SRA) are cold and rainy, otherwise great locations for hiking.

There is a roadside campground between the Pali and Lahaina--it's noisy and again attracts the wrong crowd. There is a private campground a little bit further, at Olowalu, and I had high hopes for that and stayed 2 nights there, but it was full of semi-permanent campers, not tourists. It did seem safe, because those people didn't want to be kicked out of their last resort (ha) before homelessness, but the ambiance wasn't there. They should really have a separate section for the short-term campers.

The only "normal" campground on Maui seems to be waianapanapa near Hana. They have tent spaces and cabins for rent (supposedly renovated since we went). It can be a bit wet, but the area is nice and peaceful, just no swimming beach.

We also liked the campground on Lana'i, near the ferry landing. Nice lawn, some shade trees, beach nearby, but it was something like $60/night for 2 adults and a kid (averaged over 2 nights with all the fees)--and that doesn't include the ferry. We haven't tried camping on Moloka'i.

Kauai has its share of disagreeable campgrounds, but plenty of others to make up for it. Hanamaulu got so bad I think they closed it. Anahola can be hit or miss, but they did have tent robbers there at one time. Lucy wright is in Waimea town, so it is more like a town park than a campground. All the others are rustic, and may have a homeless van or tent around, but they don't bother people. Haena, Anini, Lydgate, salt pond and Polihale are all campgrounds right on the beach. Kokee is up in the forest at 4000 feet, so chance of rain and cold, but has tons of excellent hiking right outside your tent.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:40 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
Btw, we have camped on Kauai, Oahu, maui, and the big island, and never had an incident except for some sketchy dude looking into it tent at Anahola on Kauai. We have left the tent set up with bedding and clothing inside and never lost anything. But we don't bring valuables, no jewelry, no laptops, no tablets, and never leave anything other than towels and food in the car. We just carry our phones, wallets, and small camera with us wherever we go (in the tent, to the beach, etc.).

Old 11-07-2016, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,295 times
Thanks for the input everyone. We are actually going to Kauai also and may keep the bulk of our camping there. As far as Maui, I did read that the YMCA camp Keanae was good as well as Waianapapa State Park near Hana. Good word on bugs and rain. May not what we want for our first visit. We might do a night or 2 at Olowalu too.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I personally wouldn't camp in Hawaii. It rains too much, especially at night. Also in the summer many Native Hawaiians leave their homes and camp full time on the coast. Many of them do not welcome AT ALL having tourists there. At least that is what I see every year on the Big Island.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Also in the summer many Native Hawaiians leave their homes and camp full time on the coast.
Where in the hell did you come up with that kukae?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Where in the hell did you come up with that kukae?
It happens every year in Hilo. Go to the beaches adjacent to Onekahakaha and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui