Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,933 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to Maui next year, we had talked about the midwest, but some things changed and we need a consistant climate. In looking at home sales and rentals etc, we are wondering what distance is reasonable?

Both my husband and I have lived 45 min or more from work before, driving highway speeds. But everytime I have looked at the map between Lahaina and Wailuku there has been at least one road closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 03:26 AM

9 posts, read 12,340 times
It's doable, but not advisable. There is only one way to get there and there can be a lot of traffic at times. There is something different about living on the island and what we were used to when it came to distances. I really can't explain the phenomenon. It used to take me ten minutes just to get to the nearest grocery store where I used to live. Thirty minutes to get most places. Now if I have to drive that far it seems like a chore.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by makp715 View Post
We are looking at moving to Maui next year, we had talked about the midwest, but some things changed and we need a consistant climate. In looking at home sales and rentals etc, we are wondering what distance is reasonable?

Both my husband and I have lived 45 min or more from work before, driving highway speeds. But everytime I have looked at the map between Lahaina and Wailuku there has been at least one road closure.
and it is a real bumber considering there is only one road that gets you from Lahaina to Wailuku until you reach N. Kihei Rd. If you get stuck in a traffic jam you sit there...for hours. But, it's doable.
Koale

Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
People do it, but it sucks

Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM

569 posts, read 780,293 times
I'd advise against any commute in/out of West Maui for the reasons stated above, and certainly not for a job with regular workign hours. Too much of a crap shoot.

I've even postings for jobs in West Maui where they've said you must live in West Maui.

To the OP, was there a specific reason you're planning on living in Lahaina?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Have lived in Lahaina (Ka'anapali) for over 12 years. Wouldn't advise this UNLESS family happiness in West Maui priority exceeds job happiness in Wailuku. I'm sure others do this commute, but not sure WHY (unless County/State professional job AND strong preference for West Maui locale for family, etc.). "Road closure" between Lahaina and Wailuku usually means traffic-accident-with-fatality (or grave injury). Occasionally, but rarely "rock slide on the Pali" and/or "rock slide due to earthquake" or "FIRE!"

We have many friends who commute from Wailuku or Makawao to Lahaina, but usually for high-paying jobs that "go the other way."

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:20 PM

100 posts, read 269,912 times
you could always commute by bicycle as the shoulders on W Maui are very wide and pretty well maintained. Although there is the possibility that you may incur the wrath of angry motorists stuck in traffic for hours while you whisk by on a bicycle, perhaps even with a smile on your face. If I lived in W Maui, I would totally commute everywhere by bicycle, but I realize this is not a viable option for everyone. What the responses say here is spot on, in many areas there is only one road to get to/from and if there are closures, construction, or an accident, you might be stuck in traffic for a very long time.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8o8state View Post
you could always commute by bicycle as the shoulders on W Maui are very wide and pretty well maintained. Although there is the possibility that you may incur the wrath of angry motorists stuck in traffic for hours while you whisk by on a bicycle, perhaps even with a smile on your face. If I lived in W Maui, I would totally commute everywhere by bicycle, but I realize this is not a viable option for everyone. What the responses say here is spot on, in many areas there is only one road to get to/from and if there are closures, construction, or an accident, you might be stuck in traffic for a very long time.
That's a long bicycle ride, and the shoulder isn't broad in all places. Every year a few pedestrians and scooter riders on the shoulder get hit by cars.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,933 times
Thanks for the comments, no specific reason we were looking there except a decent priced rental caught my eye.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM

569 posts, read 780,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makp715 View Post
Thanks for the comments, no specific reason we were looking there except a decent priced rental caught my eye.
That probably has somethign to with why a rental would be priced decently. No coincidence that most non-hospitality jobs are Kahului and Wailuku. If you're working anywhere but Lahaina/West Maui, the commute's gonna...what's the Hawaiian word for "suck"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui