Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

100 posts, read 269,847 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I am wrong but won't there also be yearly property taxes which sometimes can be a fairly big chunk of cash...assuming you have purchased a condo. Please forgive my error if property taxes are factored into the association fees in this thread.

This is a useful article on how property taxes are calculated for Maui condo owners/buyers

Maui Property Tax Rates and How to Calculate Estimated Property Taxes - Maui Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 AM

337 posts, read 613,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8o8state View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but won't there also be yearly property taxes which sometimes can be a fairly big chunk of cash...assuming you have purchased a condo. Please forgive my error if property taxes are factored into the association fees in this thread.

This is a useful article on how property taxes are calculated for Maui condo owners/buyers

Maui Property Tax Rates and How to Calculate Estimated Property Taxes - Maui Real Estate
Taxes are not usually included in a maintenance fee.

But based off the OP requirements, a 'moderate' condominium isn't really defined, but if you take a 250k condo, and claim owner occupancy exemption they'd be paying about $12.50/month (the minimum payment is $150/year). Hardly a big chunk of cash. If they picked up a condo that the owner wasn't living in it, it would cost them about $1500/year for the first year, and then be dropped down to the $12.50/month rate once they file their exemption. Provided the county does not reduce the exemption rate again, but out of the whole state, Maui has the largest homeowner's exemption at $200k I believe.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
I would worry more about health insurance. Of course that worry is not unique to Maui. The single biggest expense for my wife and me is our health insurance. That will decrease somewhat when we are on Medicare, but will still be a large expense with supplemental insurance. Between co-pays, deductibles, uncovered expenses, and premiums right now we are budgeting about $10-12k/year. We are close to the age of the OP.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM

15 posts, read 53,239 times
Mahalo for all you comments, suggestions and thoughts!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,382 times
I'd love to retire on maui... such a nice place to just be in.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM

569 posts, read 780,028 times
No 401K, IRAs or other retirment savings?

I agree with others that $48K/year doesn't seems like a lot, but since it's all social secuity, at least it'll be tax-free. If you're taking in $4K/month and about $1500/month is going to homeowner's fees, taxes and healthcare, that doesn't leave a lot for everything else. You might be able to do it, but it would be pretty "no frills". Travel, dining, owning a car, etc. would be pretty limited. A little part-time work would certainly help.

I'd probably suggest renting a while (6 months?) before buying a place, just to be sure you can make it work.

One other point about AOAO/homeowner's fees: There's no assurance that they won't go subsequently go up dramatically.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 53,239 times
I listed $48,000 SS income only as a baseline to get a feel for if retirement on Maui would be feasible at that level ... since I don't have an actual condo purchase price. Would probably have an additional $10,000 per year, lifetime from other asset, but that's all. Trying to be super conservative in my estimate, not trying to mislead.

Mahalo!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM

239 posts, read 520,496 times
If you don't have a house or car payment and if your HOA fees on the condo are low, then it might work. It just depends on your lifestyle. If you run an air conditioner most of the time, that could be a large expense. Also, most people on a budget in Hawaii buy fresh fruit and veges at a local farmer's market and don't buy processed foods. It's healthier that way and saves a lot of money. You'll also need to limit how much you eat at restaurants if your on a tight(ish) budget.

To me $48K seems like a lot. We lived on the Big Island and spent about $1,600 per month. We didn't have a house or car payment, no debt, and lived simply. Since we were in a house, not a condo, we didn't have HOA fees. Our property tax was very low with the homeowner exemption and our car insurance was low because we drove so few miles per year. Our biggest expense was our medical expenses (monthly premium, prescriptions, and doc co-pays were half of our total budget). We didn't have an air conditioner or heater (not necessary), hung our clothes on the line to dry and did other energy savings things and our utility bills were less than $100 per month. The electric rates are crazy high (over 30 cents per Kilowatt hour, so bills can be really high if you don't conserve. We spent next to nothing on clothes and almost never went to restaurants because we prefer to cook at home. Gasoline is high, but we drove so little we could go 2-3 months on a tank of gas.

So, that should give you an idea on how you can live cheaply. It all depends on the lifestyle that makes you happy. We're happiest when we keep it simple. If you are like us, then it should be easy to live on $48K...even on Maui.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Taxes are not usually included in a maintenance fee.

But based off the OP requirements, a 'moderate' condominium isn't really defined, but if you take a 250k condo, and claim owner occupancy exemption they'd be paying about $12.50/month (the minimum payment is $150/year). Hardly a big chunk of cash. If they picked up a condo that the owner wasn't living in it, it would cost them about $1500/year for the first year, and then be dropped down to the $12.50/month rate once they file their exemption. Provided the county does not reduce the exemption rate again, but out of the whole state, Maui has the largest homeowner's exemption at $200k I believe.
If I am reading this correctly, you are referring to taxes. In cases where electric is included in the HOA/maintenance, it is still a cost that needs to be considered when budgeting as electric is higher than on the mainland. A quick look at a few condos currently for sale in Kihei shows Keonekai Village $365/mo. maintenance, Kihei Village II $350. So although taxes may be reasonable, they need to seriously consider the maintenance fees.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM

100 posts, read 269,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
our car insurance was low because we drove so few miles per year.
I would like to know what insurance carrier you have as my current carrier and all the others I have spoken with told me the amount of miles I drive has no affect on my rates.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: