Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:53 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Radon can occur in any house of any age. They haven't used asbestos in houses for decades.
Asbestos was never really banned in the USA.
https://www.asbestos.com/mesotheliom...gislation/ban/

"Only spray-applied asbestos and these six products are banned in the U.S. All other uses of asbestos, such as automotive brake pads and gaskets, roofing products, and fireproof clothing, are legal."

It's still allowed but in very low amounts. The major concern is if it is friable. It's still in many commercial and governmental buildings and products. I've seen a stage in a elementary school have a theater curtain filled with it. One wrong move of a level and it it crashed down would create a plume to evacuate the area. Lead is very dangerous, especially to children yet we need it as a shield against radiation in dentistry.

You have to consider when things are toxic sometimes disturbing containment can actually make things worse. For example if you dreaded up the Housatonic river in the berkshires those PCB's technically could move downstream to the Hudson and pretty much poison off waters on some of the most expensive properties in the country (manhattan). There's a complicated plan to get rid of the contaminated soil
https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/1...erkshires.html

Radon is still part of inspection tests.

"Id have bought another Matrix except Toyota stopped selling them in the U.S. I also would have gone up a trim line and gotten AWD."

Toyota matrix is also a Pontiac Vibe

My point about a new house is there's a bit of a difference between buying from a builder (say Toll Brothers) vs another person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 02:12 PM

66 posts, read 47,361 times
You're really limiting yourself with the new construction. There isn't very much of that in this area and what there is, is extremely expensive. And if it turns out that prices do drop (whether a 'bubble' or not), those will be the first to fall. I would think hard on whether that's a must-have or just a nice-to-have.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:02 PM

38 posts, read 23,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's just nuts, but I believe it.

Good friends of mine are selling their house in Reading. They've owned it 11 years and fixed it up well, but it had some flaws similar to what you've listed. In prepping to sell and clearing out the house, he made a list of repairs he figured he would have to make to sell.

Realtor basically told him not to bother at all as in his particular neighborhood, the house will sell the first weekend, over asking, and likely with contingencies waived. He's deciding to take his realtors advice and let it ride.

House will be listed later this spring. Curious to see what happens.
Would not be surprised that it will go over $25K asking. We have considered Reading, but a little too far for us granted it has better schools, but RE tax is high and utilities are high as well.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
First car was a 1992 Mazda 323, then a Toyota Matrix, now a Subaru Crosstrek. I'd have bought another Matrix except Toyota stopped selling them in the U.S. I also would have gone up a trim line and gotten AWD.

I maintain my cars impeccably and get a lot of years out of them! Buy the lowest trim line, buy new and take perfect care of them. It's worked this far. I think my Crosstrek will be my last car (I've had it 3 years, 27k miles, and am 68 and retired).
Wow, sounds like that Subaru will be in great hands! Nice job!

Old 03-12-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfan84 View Post
You're really limiting yourself with the new construction. There isn't very much of that in this area and what there is, is extremely expensive. And if it turns out that prices do drop (whether a 'bubble' or not), those will be the first to fall. I would think hard on whether that's a must-have or just a nice-to-have.
I guess it comes down to a little bit of both.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:28 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times
I'm not totally against new construction. Make no mistake we need more houses. But sometimes it's just simplier to have something already made. Water lines, sewer lines, electric, telecommunication etc are already in place. I would tend to argue if a new home sits there and isn't sold after awhile people will ask why it isn't sold. Whereas if it has a actual tenant or occupant that it means it validates the idea that some think it's vetted. It's almost like a relationship. If someone is single and never had a relationship and say...50 or 60 the likelihood of finding someone else gets slimmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts