Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 17,741 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying an entry level home in Winchester, mainly to get into the school system (we have two toddlers). We've looked at a few homes recently in the 600k range. We like Winchester, its proximity to Boston, its downtown area, accessibility and abundance of green space. My concern is that we may not fit in. We have no plans of ever joining any of the exclusive and expensive clubs (country club, swim/tennis, boat). Will we still be able to meet people and make friends who are of similar means to us? I'm sure the population of this type of household will be smaller than the affluent ones, but it must exist, right? What is the general impression of the people who live in this town? Basically, I don't want to feel constantly judged simply because we have a modest home, cars, etc.

We are hoping for a community-centered feel where there are block parties, walkable neighborhoods and a town that offers lots of events and activities for residents. We had initially settled on Melrose because of its quaint downtown, walkability, excellent recreational offerings, cultural events and activities. It seemed like a perfect fit for us. But we are unsure about the Melrose schools, particularly the middle and high school...which is what led us to consider Winchester. They seem somewhat similar in many ways. We've explored other towns for quite some time now and have narrowed it down to Winchester and Melrose.

Any insights are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 12:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Just one data point but judging by the people I know in each town, I think you'll find more of what you are looking for in Melrose. Bottom line, Winchester has better schools but the pool of people you seek socially will be much more limited. Melrose's schools are on the upswing and I believe their tax override to increase the school budget passed this week.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:41 PM

113 posts, read 104,231 times
The short answer is: no.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:05 PM

880 posts, read 819,334 times
I think you'll find most ppl are just pretending to be affluent (maxed out cards etc)... Winchester is not Beverly hills...

Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other. But my lone observation is this--I belong to the North Suburban YMCA. When I've met someone new while working out, they ask, "So, you live in Winchester?" When I say "No, Woburn", they repeat back slowly "Oh, Woburn".

Old 04-04-2019, 04:55 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Back in my electrical contractor days, I was tasked with repairing street lights in many towns all over MA. One of my favorite towns to work in was Winchester. Everyone was friendly and people would come out of their houses to give us water or thank us for fixing their lights. Never got that treatment anywhere else. Often times, in really affluent towns we'd get yelled at if we idled too long in front of someone's house at 1pm fixing a light.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:05 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Stuffiness "issue" on here is way overblown. I also worked in Arlington/Burlington/Lexington/Winchester etc. as a meter reader when I first started my career, agree with Mike. Not sure if it has changed but there were a surprising amount of townies as well, or at least folks who clearly had a more normal background. Not everyone there drives a leased Lexus back and forth from to the golf course or whole foods.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 17,741 times
Thank you for your response. I'll have to look into what the override encompasses.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:35 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastmom View Post
We are considering buying an entry level home in Winchester, mainly to get into the school system (we have two toddlers). We've looked at a few homes recently in the 600k range.

Any insights are appreciated.
You're finding homes in the $600K range in Winchester?!

Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Stuffiness "issue" on here is way overblown. I also worked in Arlington/Burlington/Lexington/Winchester etc. as a meter reader when I first started my career, agree with Mike. Not sure if it has changed but there were a surprising amount of townies as well, or at least folks who clearly had a more normal background. Not everyone there drives a leased Lexus back and forth from to the golf course or whole foods.
Pretty much my experience (while limited) as well, people there seem cool and down to earth for the most part. I've had the total opposite experience with Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts