Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM

12,408 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
Hi there, are the schools all pretty good in the towns you suggested? We're a ways out from our kiddo being in school and a lot could change in the next 3-4 years, but just curious. I know the schools in Boston area, and probably MA in general, are likely quite a bit better than in Indiana, but I know here the quality largely depends on the town you're in. Thanks so much!!
I live high on the North Shore and my son is unfortunately living with my ex in TN, so I can't really comment with much confidence on the schools in these towns. I don't think they can be too bad as these are solid middle class towns, and there are of course online rating sources like https://www.niche.com/k12/d/burlingt...ic-schools-ma/ - which seem to rate them pretty well... but I'll leave it to others who may have the real scoop on school systems in the Burlington vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
If the OP is discouraged by what she's seeing in Burlington for $800K, she'll be even more discouraged by Andover. Although the town's great.
Burlington is pretty equally priced to Andover, if anything Andover is slightly cheaper. Though Burlington taxes are lower.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:25 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Bummer, unless there's not a good representation on the market right now I think Burlington might be outside of our price range for the size home I'm looking for (3-4 bed, 3 bath). As it seems most of the towns between Billerica and Boston are unless I'm missing some.
If you are looking for a recent build Colonial at that price point here in town, you're not going to find it. You will find nicely renovated and updated 3-4 BR splits or grand capes in that price range such as this that came on the market this week:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M40179-63033

BTW, I drove by and there were about 10 cars outside the open house.

It's a nice quiet neighborhood and representative of what you will find in town in that price point. You might be able to stretch your budget a little bit as the tax rate is low but the inventory is pretty tight at this time of year.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Burlington is pretty equally priced to Andover, if anything Andover is slightly cheaper. Though Burlington taxes are lower.
Never thought I'd hear the phrase "Andover is cheaper than Burlington."

To the OP, I replied over in the "Boston" sub forum.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:58 AM

59 posts, read 53,222 times
@htfdcolt, ha yeah we live in West Clay now- total yuppies. My husband works at Lilly but would like to be in the biotech hub that is the Boston area. I'm from the northeast (Morris County, NJ) and love the history and culture on the east coast, and the proximity to the ocean. However, I've gotten super spoiled by what we can do with our money here and I find it daunting to move somewhere so much more expensive where I won't have as many options, especially since our families won't be nearby (both in the southeast now, but sadly no pharma there). In towns like Westford or Burlington, are grocery stores, Target, etc. pretty accessible? In Carmel all of our regular shopping, doctors' offices, and hospitals are no more than 10 minutes away. I'm also way out of practice driving in northeast traffic. Is it awful in those areas?

As someone who has lived in both places, how do you like living in Boston compared to Carmel area?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:24 PM

18,719 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Littleton. Certainly in your price range, a lot of new construction, right by 495/2. Schools are very good and it's a great community to raise family. I lived there for 27 years, no kids but observant. I worked on the edge of Cambridge and went into Somerville/Cambridge often. Great new train station for commuter rail into Cambridge/Boston. Best wishes.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
@htfdcolt, ha yeah we live in West Clay now- total yuppies. My husband works at Lilly but would like to be in the biotech hub that is the Boston area. I'm from the northeast (Morris County, NJ) and love the history and culture on the east coast, and the proximity to the ocean. However, I've gotten super spoiled by what we can do with our money here and I find it daunting to move somewhere so much more expensive where I won't have as many options, especially since our families won't be nearby (both in the southeast now, but sadly no pharma there). In towns like Westford or Burlington, are grocery stores, Target, etc. pretty accessible? In Carmel all of our regular shopping, doctors' offices, and hospitals are no more than 10 minutes away. I'm also way out of practice driving in northeast traffic. Is it awful in those areas?

As someone who has lived in both places, how do you like living in Boston compared to Carmel area?
In Burlington we have:

5 grocery stores - Wegman's, Market Basket, Shaw's, Trader Joe's, H-Mart
Target City store
Kohls
Best Buy
Total Wine
Burlington Mall which is Simon's second most profitable mall
Wayside Commons
3rd Ave
The District
and dozens of restaurants including a few national chains and lots of mid to high end places including Del Friscos, Capitol Grill, The Bancroft, Chopps, Black and Blue, Redstone Grille - all places where you can get a $40 steak and a $15 old fashioned.

For healthcare, Lahey Hospital is right in town as is Harvard Vanguard - a large medical practice - and plenty of dentists, orthodontists, et al.

Traffic is heavy around the commercial area of town because of all the businesses in the area including Millipore and Keurig and they are where all the retail/dining is. I live as far away from the retail/dining area of town but am only 10-15 minutes away from there outside of rush hour - that can be a 20 minute trip.

Last edited by robr2; 12-16-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 02:47 PM

59 posts, read 53,222 times
Amazing, that isn't bad at all! Thanks so much, I've only been to Boston proper and Cambridge before so I'm totally clueless about the 'burbs!

Old 12-16-2018, 03:00 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Serono is on Middlesex Turnpike right near the Billerica/Bedford line.

Traffic in that area is pretty lousy so you want to limit the distance your husband is driving.

Towns to consider include:

Andover
Bedford
Burlington
Lynnfield
North Reading
Reading
Wilmington

Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Check out Tewksbury . close to major roads Rt. 3,93 , 495
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts