Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 AM

14 posts, read 56,083 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating later this year with my husband working in Danvers. We have been looking at New Hampshire for living. We want a touch of rural, but not totally in the sticks. We'd like a little property for some chickens and a garden. We'd like to be within 30 min. of major grocery stores, mall, a Target, etc...

Any suggestions for MA towns that would work? We don't have children, so schools are not a concern. Also, any places to stay away from would be helpful too. We are wanting to stay as close to 300k as possible for a home.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
One thing to keep an eye on is that, while working in Mass. you'd pay Mass. income tax, while New Hampshire towns near the Mass. border often have very high property tax since there is no N.H. income tax. So it can be the worst of all worlds if you're on a budget.

I don't know about land big enough to have chickens, but the towns just north of Danvers like Boxford, Georgetown, and Byfield always struck me a pretty woodsy. Of course, I'm a city guy so rural to me might not be to you.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 25,893 times
I Would Stay South Of The Hampton Tolls In Nh But Look In That Area Or Seabrook, Exeter. These Are More Reasonable Than Say, Newburyport. Another Area To Check Is Haverhill, Reading Or Any Of Those More Central Towns. All Are An Easy Commute To Danvers-good Luck.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
I hope you don't get sick of reading my replies to your postings boogs I do have some ideas for towns that might fit. I would recommend heading north along Rte 95 (from Danvers) where the area is much more rural. Towns like Topsfield, Boxford, Georgetown etc have a number of horse farms, etc. Finding a home in some of these towns for under 300K may be a stretch, but certainly not impossible.

Personally, I would recommend looking into Amesbury. It has a very nice downtown area, plenty of restaurants, etc. Absolutely beautiful old Victorian homes and tree-lined streets. Super-convenient to Rte. 495 and all the conveniences that you are looking for, BUT once you get past the downtown, there are some quite rural areas that border South Hampton, New Hampshire. Amesbury might just offer you the best of both worlds, I would think very worth your while to look into.

Since you have specifically mentioned the possibility of chickens, you'll want to check with any town that you consider to see what limitations they might have. I have friends in Merrimac (next to Amesbury) who raise Aracana, and also the large black and white speckled chickens, and they are right along the Merrimack River. I would assume that there are more restrictions than in NH, where you can let your chickens roam free. Some towns might only allow livestock in certain areas, others may have a minimum lot size, etc.

Have you looked at city-data's information on homes? Massachusetts Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) has a ton of good info that might be very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts