Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 AM

25 posts, read 66,058 times

Advertisements

A few things from my POV on a few different topics that have come up. I have family that lives in both Needham and Sharon, and have a good amount of experience in both of them and those seem to be in considerable comparison right now.

First, Taxes Needham's taxes are lower rates because of the commercial base in town, most people forget that everything west of the Charles belongs to Needham, so the Coke plant, and everything between Kendrick and Highland is Needham tax base, along with Muzi, Channel 5 U-Do-It etc, and the smaller industrial park on Reservoir as well up by Upper Falls.

Honestly though, taxes are mostly meaningless to this discussion, most people are going to have a tax bill that's about the same in either town, Sharon tax rate is 20.55, and Needham is 11.64, even with a higher rate in Sharon(40% for a round number), the house values are a lot lower. If we are comparing houses of equal value, then of course Needham is going to seem like the better deal, but the values aren't going to be the same values. A quick check on redfin for comparable houses in terms of Sq Ft(1800ish), 4Bed/3Bath, showed me a $375K in Sharon, and a $750K in Needham, both had taxes within a couple hundred of each other in the $8k range. Both in similar neighborhoods to each other. So unless you buy way more house than you need in Sharon, or buy way less house than you should in Needham, it's a mostly meaningless number to even focus on, much less argue about, when talking about selecting a place to live.

and in terms of place to go and things to do in Sharon, since you were asking, it's in Sharon, and Stoughton, and Easton, but Borderland State Park is a gem that so few people take the time to utilize and appreciate. I grew up near the rear entrance and loved it, can have a lot of mosquitoes in some areas, but all in all, awesome place to walk, hike, relax play disc golf, sled in winter, canoe, fish if you mind catching only lilypads, photography, ice skate, mountain bike and so many other things. I am not big on them in general, but the civil war re-enactments are always pretty cool.

and on a similar note to everyone, buying the parks pass for like $35($45non-res) to park at all State Parks in MA is a huge deal that people should really take advantage of, especially since it means you can park at state beaches like Horseneck, Nahant, Nantasket, Revere, salisbury, Skusset as well as some of the larger lakes like Cochituate, Hopkinton State Parks and not have to pay the daily rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 01:54 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,713,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosguy123 View Post
and in terms of place to go and things to do in Sharon, since you were asking, it's in Sharon, and Stoughton, and Easton, but Borderland State Park is a gem that so few people take the time to utilize and appreciate. I grew up near the rear entrance and loved it, can have a lot of mosquitoes in some areas, but all in all, awesome place to walk, hike, relax play disc golf, sled in winter, canoe, fish if you mind catching only lilypads, photography, ice skate, mountain bike and so many other things. I am not big on them in general, but the civil war re-enactments are always pretty cool.
Sounds like paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosguy123 View Post
and on a similar note to everyone, buying the parks pass for like $35($45non-res) to park at all State Parks in MA is a huge deal that people should really take advantage of, especially since it means you can park at state beaches like Horseneck, Nahant, Nantasket, Revere, salisbury, Skusset as well as some of the larger lakes like Cochituate, Hopkinton State Parks and not have to pay the daily rate.
good tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts