Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM

213 posts, read 936,684 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the commute is like from West Roxbury to Framingham? I am looking at a job in Framingham and was interested in living in West Roxbury/Roslindale. I really wanted to take public transportation. However, when I look on MBTA it seem like that isn't possible unless I go from WR to BackBay to Framingham. Seems a little insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,828 times
Is your new job walking distance from the Framingham train station? There's only one station in Framingham and it's right downtown (not an area I'd recommend walking around after dark BTW). Even so, this would be a difficult commute by train. The Framingham/Worcester line runs out of South Station and Back Back. It's only about 30 minutes on the "express" train from Back Bay to Framingham but getting to Back Bay could take awhile and there aren't a ton of trains outbound from Boston to Framingham in the morning so if you miss the 7:30, for example, you're stuck waiting til 9am. I have a friend who was commuting from Newbury St to Framingham but she always drove. Do you mind if I ask, why are you looking to live in Roslindale/W Roxbury? If you prefer a more urban setting there are certainly areas you could live with an easier commute than that.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
Is your new job walking distance from the Framingham train station? There's only one station in Framingham and it's right downtown (not an area I'd recommend walking around after dark BTW). Even so, this would be a difficult commute by train. The Framingham/Worcester line runs out of South Station and Back Back. It's only about 30 minutes on the "express" train from Back Bay to Framingham but getting to Back Bay could take awhile and there aren't a ton of trains outbound from Boston to Framingham in the morning so if you miss the 7:30, for example, you're stuck waiting til 9am. I have a friend who was commuting from Newbury St to Framingham but she always drove. Do you mind if I ask, why are you looking to live in Roslindale/W Roxbury? If you prefer a more urban setting there are certainly areas you could live with an easier commute than that.
The trains (including subway and trolley as well as commuter rail) do mostly run on lines that are like spokes of a wheel, with the central part of Boston as the hub, so, unfortunately it's true that your only train route between West Rox. and Framingham involves going into downtown and then back out in another direction. One suggestion I have is to check the bus routes between West Rox. and Newton. From Newton you can take the train to Framingham, and sometimes the busses follow a more direct route between suburban areas, without doing the into-town-and-then-back-out thing. A disadvantage there is that changing between busses, subways, commuter trains, etc., can make for a long commute, becuase of the time you might need to wait at transfer points. Taking the bus to a train station in Newton is at least a possibility worth checking into, though.

I agree with ScarletF that the tricky part of getting to work in Framingham by commuter rail is that the station in Framingham is not very close to the town's real economic center. I'm not sure I agree that the area around the train station is dangerous at night. That depends on you, and how comfortable you are about making your way through seedy neighborhoods. As for how practical a commute this would be, it depends on the location of your job in Framingham. To many locations along route 9, where a lot of the jobs in Framingham are located, it could easily be a walk of an hour or more from the train station. There is a local transit system in Framingham, the LIFT bus, but their busses stop running very early in the evening. The LIFT also does not run as often as the T busses in the areas closer to the city, and my experience has been that the LIFT does not always coordinate very well with the times the commuter trains arrive in Framingham. This will depend on what time you arrive in Framingham, though, so if your job is in the daytime, when the LIFT runs, and won't be located near the train station, you should definitely check the LIFT schedule.

LIFT Bus Info - Framingham, MA

Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Thank you for your responses. Doesn't look like Framingham is doable. I would rather work in downtown Boston anyway. I don't want to drive anymore. I am so sick of driving. I live in Raleigh, NC and we have to drive everywhere. I want to walk and take busses and Ts.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
If you prefer a more urban setting there are certainly areas you could live with an easier commute than that.
I meant to ask you which areas you would suggest. I am looking for a urban setting.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 PM

240 posts, read 470,907 times
I wouldn't do it. Train or driving would be a nightmare. Maybe you should consider a town or city a lil closer to Framingham to live in.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Well, I kind of wanted to be close enough to Boston to be able to use public transportation. Honestly, I am so sick of driving. I guess I will keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts