Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 56,859 times

Advertisements

Friends of ours are looking to relocate from Santa Monica in the next 6-18 months. Money is not really an issue, I think the could afford to spend at least $1 Million on a house, probably more. Here is there criteria.....Any suggestions?

town in/close to boston with great schools
- public or private are fine for us -- just need to be good
- green/leafy town -- feels like you are not surrounded by concrete
- funky/artsy vibe (a la Venice) instead of stuffy
- on a t-line so we can get into city fast
- in Boston or north so we save time to and from maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM

925 posts, read 2,754,809 times
I'm thinking Newburyport or Rockport.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM

1,038 posts, read 4,013,185 times
I second kmann-sherborn.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:19 PM

13,097 posts, read 22,316,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
I second kmann-sherborn.
Third

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 PM

3,698 posts, read 7,491,529 times
People frequently ask about a town in the Boston area that compares to Venice and the truth is that there isn't one.

Venice has a population of over 40,000 people. For example, Newburyport is about 18,000 and Rockport is only 8000 people. Both towns offer some artsy similarities to the West Coast community but they are dramatically smaller with fewer amenities and services overall. That is typical of most New England towns. Boston has a population of 600,000; Los Angeles is over 4 million. Things are just on a different scale.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 PM

4,643 posts, read 14,007,443 times
Given the information that you shared, I would recommend Newburyport and Marblehead. Rockport is a great little town, but being on the far-east edge of Cape Ann, it's not easy to get to Boston OR Maine. And while it certainly fits the bill of being 'artsy', I wouldn't consider it a funky vibe. I mean, until 4 or 5 years ago, you couldn't even order a glass of wine with dinner (dry town) and as far as I know, there are no liquor sales other than restaurants. Not that booze is a necessary ingredient, but... Newburyport is a fun town, with a great walkable downtown, lots of funky little shops all throughout the downtown plus along the route to Plum Island. You should definitely take a ride to check out NBPT for them. I can post lots of NBPT pictures if that would be helpful. And if they are boaters, there are lots of marina's along both sides of the Merrimack River where they can access the ocean from (although be warned, the mouth of the Merrimack can be quite tricky with the fast moving tides!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Boston has a population of 600,000; Los Angeles is over 4 million. Things are just on a different scale.

Thank goodness things are on a different scale! Most folks I've worked with who come to New England from LA are looking to trade in the pressure cooker/elitist atmosphere for something less hectic, a little more down to earth.

Last edited by Valerie C; 06-30-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,402,886 times
What's with the Santa Monica/Boston connection? First Whitey Bulger and now there's a hoard of ex Bostonians on the news who've relocated to Santa Monica. I just find this interesting.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM

304 posts, read 778,582 times
I think Newton or Brookline would also fit your criteria and they are way closer to the city than Newburyport - which is a great town, but quite the haul into Boston. Marblehead is also a cute town, but no public transport to Boston. None of the above though help in the commute to Maine....

Have you looked into Portsmouth, NH? That is also a fun town but much further from Boston (but closer to Maine). Really cute town.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 PM

105 posts, read 554,528 times
Default Here's my list

When I originally read your post, I thought Newton or Wellesley. After reading the responses of Rockport and Newburyport...I agreed with Newburyport, but wanted to add Marblehead.

Then I remembered the town I grew up in. Manchester-by-the-Sea. Ahhh...absolutely lovely.

Ultimately, the deciding factors are how close to the city you really need to be versus the north shore. In order to get the quaint feel that it seems like you're looking for (which I do think Newburyport is probably the closest), you're further away from the city.

I would check out:

Newton
Wellesley
Newburyport
Manchester-by-the-Sea
Marblehead
Rockport

I personally find Rockport too out of the way for my liking..but it may be what you're looking for.

Newton may be too city-like, so Wellesley might be a better choice.

I still think Newburyport and Manchester will be ultimately the best choices.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 PM

8,828 posts, read 21,363,014 times
I would want to be on the T line if at all possible. (I am relocating too).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts