Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,733 times

Advertisements

Is Owings Mills a good safe place to raise a family? I might take a job in Owings Mills. I have 2 kids under age 4. I was wondering if this was a good place to buy a home and raise a family. How is the school system? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 52,809 times
Owings Mills is a great place but the public middle schools and high school needs improvement. It is safe the elementary school is new and very good. I am selling my townhome and relocating to Atlanta. The magnet programs are great and the school has alot of athletic these for kids to do. Hard working families and everything you need is close.Good Luck!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 PM

297 posts, read 1,273,391 times
If you want someplace safe, with good schools and about 20 minutes from Owings Mills (using the Lyons Mill Road shortcut from Liberty Road) you may want to look into Eldersburg, MD. It is about 20 minutes from Owings Mills and is a fast growing area of Southern Carroll County. Eldersburg gives you quick access to both Westminster (20 minutes) and Columbia (30 minutes) if you want to do some shopping, although you can find the basics in Eldersburg right now, with more shopping centers in the planning stages.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,733 times
Default Owings Mills

Thank you all!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,161 times
Default Agreed! Owings Mills/New Town

I moved to OM/NT area last year and altho alright in a lot of ways, I'd highly recommend a visit here first if you can to see for yourself. A good way to see what an area like is to also visit during the evening hours, would strongly suggest that for anyone relocating anywhere.

The feel I get is that area is in flux in the New Town area and it's kind of one of those situations where it could go one way or another at this point to be honest. The sale value on my place has already dropped 10% in 6 mos and it wasn't overpriced to begin with, it's an average burb area -altho the housing market is down everywhere so it could be due to that. Plenty of for sale signs up everywhere.

The traffic on the main road where all the main stores are is just hard to manuever around in here.

Some good things here - still affordable in an metro area that's not for the most part, it has many up to date stores and a regional mall. Altho as a previous poster said about the mall.."It's a little shady there". (not my quote, someone else being honest), also near the New Town area. If I need a mall I go up to White Marsh about 20 miles aways, or Towson's 10 miles - both just better malls. Has public transportation and easy access to main freeways and Baltimore Beltway. There are walkable nieghborhoods and people like dogs here too.Also has a restuarant area away from the main strip, easy to get to w/Tony Roma's, Don Pablo's, several chain places that are nice.

On the other hand...Eldersburg rocks! It is about 6 miles from here and I find myself over there to do 90% of shopping due to easier store access. It's a sleepier little town in some ways and no regional mall, but has several good Japanese restuarants too, the Walmart is better than OM's, a Kmart, and very family friendly town, as where OM is more single and younger oriented and faster paced. Would have moved there if I'd known about it and could have afforded it (sorry OM!) -

anyways, good luck to you.

Last edited by RikkiLee; 03-24-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: duplicate paragraph

Old 03-24-2007, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,920 times
I agree with b721, Rikkilee and bobv. I live in owings mills for three years, moved to randallstown, hated it. So I am back on owing mills side, reisterstown, which is in the same area. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland