Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 AM

204 posts, read 422,505 times

Advertisements

We have been up that way a 1/2 a dozen times and LOVE IT!! Just got back actually. WHat I dont know about the area wether its Oakland, Mchenry or Grantsville/Friendsville...is what is it really like living there.

I have looked up the schools they get very high scores! We have a high schooler,Middle, and Elem. Can someone tell me what they are like? What the teachers are like, type of sports, the general atmosphere?

Can you tell me areas to look for houses that are in the best school area? I dont know how the county works, here where we live you can drive your child to any of our county schools.

I only spotted one grocery store, other than the Walmart in Oakland...where does one get thier shopping done?Obviously it is more rural, what I am wondering is there one of these areas that has a actual town in it? A down town? (other that Deep Creek and Oakland) Does Accident or Friendsville? Grantsville? Can you give me some info about the surrounding areas?

I guess we should start with which town in the area (no more than 20 minutes from Deep Creek) should we start with? We are looking to purchase a house with Land,4-5 bedrooms saw a few nice ones this past weekend. My husband hunts and we have a lot of family that will visit us up there so we need the room.

I really appreciate any info! We arent planning our move till next Spring/summer.

Did I leave anything out...hmm.. I dont think so! Thanks for all your help!

(work isnt an issue) husband will continue his commute.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Garrett County is light on towns.......it is the least densely populated county in the state. McHenry (the heart of the Lake area) Oakland and Grantsville (off I-68) are probably the only areas that would have any sort of shopping. Accident is cute, but small. Friendsville is pretty isolated.

Don't know anything about the schools other than hearing good things from friends. Northern has a better reputation than Southern High.

As for living there full time.........The snow is really heavy in the winter, and it rarely slows things down. Be prepared to drive in it, have a way to clear it from your driveway and/or sidewalks, for schools to be open, etc. I think so long as you stay pretty close to the Lake, you won't have too many problems with not being from the area. Keep in the mind the community of full time residents in Garrett County is really small, like 25k-30k in the whole county, so people are going to have existing family and friend networks in place. This shouldn't be problem, just remember to respect your new home and neighbors, and you will earn respect back in return.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:16 AM

Thank you! We live in a county (talbot) On the shore of a pop. Of around 26k. Yeah the snow! Lol but we expected that more to tube and ski in! I think with all of our children in different schools we should be able to make " friends" we r home body's too. How is the work up there anyway? I case husband changes jobs, he's a carpenter/superintendent in construction. Maybe have to go to WV Morgantown possibly. I appreciate your quick response . So what areas are Northern high? Thx!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
Thank you! We live in a county (talbot) On the shore of a pop. Of around 26k. Yeah the snow! Lol but we expected that more to tube and ski in! I think with all of our children in different schools we should be able to make " friends" we r home body's too. How is the work up there anyway? I case husband changes jobs, he's a carpenter/superintendent in construction. Maybe have to go to WV Morgantown possibly. I appreciate your quick response . So what areas are Northern high? Thx!
The job market isn't very strong in Western Maryland. That said, construction is a good area to be in as the Lake area is still growing, as is Morgantown. I wouldn't expect too many problems finding work in that field, especially if your husband is willing to commute.

Northern High is roughly the areas around Accident and north, like Grantsville. Southern High is more Oakland and the southern part of the county. I don't know exactly where the line is though.

Coming for Talbot County should be good prep for the rural atmosphere. If you do well there, you should do well in Garrett too.

Don't underestimate the snow though, seriously. Oakland averages 106 inches per winter (Nov-April)..........that's over 8 feet of snow fall. As mentioned, the county doesn't shut down over 6-8 inches like you are probably used to in Talbot. Jobs, schools, the courthouse and government offices will all be open. If you have a driveway, you will probably need a snow blower. If your husband is commuting, expect that commute to frequently be on snow covered roads. A 4WD or AWD vehicle is just about essential if you live up there.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Now that is some SNOW! But at least unlike the shore you have hills to sled on! We literally have to build a hill ( and not a big one) �� For the kids to play on. I really thank you for the info it has been very helpful! I will be searching and getting all our ducks in a row this year do we make the best move for us.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,202 times
Hi Kbug. I've lived in Garrett County full time since 1996. My kids have went thru the Southern school district. Southern is the entire area south of the Rt. 219 Deep Creek Lake bridge - which is Oakland, Mt Lake Park, Crellin, and Swanton. The Northern school district is the area north of the Rt. 219 Deep Creek Lake bridge. That area is McHenry, Accident, Friendsville, Grantsville, and Finzel. Both school district rank well for public schools. The Northern schools have more kids that come from agricultural based families with a strong work ethic.

The construction business is actually pretty busy right now. Your husband should have no problem getting work with one of the local builders.

The Southern Garrett population usually shops at Wal-Mart of Shop N Save in Oakland. The Northern Garrett population usually shops at Shop N Save in McHenry. Some will drive to Morgantown to the west or Cumberland to the east to shop as well. Both are about 45 minutes away from McHenry.

Crime is basically non existent in Garrett County. In the wintertime you definitely want snow tires. But the county and state do a great job keeping the roads cleared. However, the state of WV does not so I would caution about driving to Morgantown during the winter months.

I sell homes in Garrett County so let me know if you want me to e-mail you homes for sale? PM me at mkennedy@railey.com. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:27 AM

Thank you for all the info! Helps a lot I will email you what we r looking for. We plan to let the kids finish the year here first since they have started already. I worry about them fitting in wth. I think you will be a great resource!!! Thanks

Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
Now that is some SNOW! But at least unlike the shore you have hills to sled on! We literally have to build a hill ( and not a big one) �� For the kids to play on. I really thank you for the info it has been very helpful! I will be searching and getting all our ducks in a row this year do we make the best move for us.
Good luck. Your positive attitude will take you a long way. Feel free to ask any additional questions you have, although mnkennedy69 seems better informed on the specifics.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM

ok thanks so much...if anyone can add anymore I welcome it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland