Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 14,968 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy new town homes in Howard Square, Elkridge, MD which is located right opposite to police station on US1. The builder is Ryan homes. This would be our first home that we will be buying. I have few question here.

1. How is the area(US 1 & waterloo rd) as far as the safety is concerned?
2. Does anybody have knowledge of the built quality and community in howard square?

I know that there are many homes built in early and mid 2000s selling cheap besides that community (with high condo fee) because of certain issues. And so want to be sure before investing into new home in that area. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin john View Post
1. How is the area(US 1 & waterloo rd) as far as the safety is concerned?
You can check the Spotcrime or other websites. There were 3 reported thefts in the past 3 months, but nothing violent in the townhouse development. That's not surprising from a construction site. Zoom in here: http://spotcrime.com/md/howard+county

Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
The site isn't laid out well and the view is dominated by the apartment building. Dorset Gardens at Bluestream down the road has another phase coming soon.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Dorset Gardens at Bluestream down the road has another phase coming soon.
Good idea. I think the Lennar homes will offer more standard features than Ryan. If you are concerned about Ryan's quality, look at a house that is 5 years old and see how good it looks. (I don't have personal knowledge, but I have never heard anyone praise Ryan's quality.)

Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM

I just inquired Dorset Garden are much expensive than ryan. I am thinking for visiting community people to ask them. will post here with updates.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin john View Post
I just inquired Dorset Garden are much expensive than ryan. I am thinking for visiting community people to ask them. will post here with updates.
Generally, you get what you pay for. If Ryan Homes has what you can afford, best wishes with your decision.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:17 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
That area is highly industrial so to speak and personally I would not want to live off Rte. 1 myself. You don't have to go far before it gets sketchy, but I would not say that it is outright dangerous: Elkridge is not known for its pleasantries. There is also a heckofalot of semi/big rig traffic on 1 and HWY 175 and if 95 is backed up that far for any reason (which is often, and generally having little to do with rush hour), motorists will use 1 as a detour.

The best part of that area is the R&R Taqueria in the Shell gas station on the corner or Rte. 1 and HWY 175. It is the cheapest, and best, Mexican joint this side of the Mississippi.

Seriously, why Howard Square? Because it is new construction? You can find better in Columbia or Elicott City.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM

If you want to buy something decent and much newer (with good school) in Columbia or Ellicott City, you have to pay a lot ,even with older homes. Also, one could find maintenance issues in future. New home in those area are much much above what I can afford. I am looking to buy home with spending less in house maintenance, can live long term and has good resale value and ofcourse safe neighbourhood.

I am not an advocate for howard square or buying new homes but found out that the community looks decent and safe but I have not put my bet yet and welcome more suggestions.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,038 times
Hi Kevin,

did you end up going with Ryan? Would like to hear of your experiences. I'm considering buying there. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
Kevin John,

I am selling my new townehome (2014) due to job relocation; it is For Sale by Owner with upgraded tile in kitchen and master
bath, wood floors, crown molding, and recessed coffered ceiling in master bedroom.
It's an end unit with southern exposure and view of the main entrance park. My price of this mint condition home
is less expensive than the ones currently being built.
I have not posted for sale sign yet. Must be pre-approved for mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland