Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,366 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would appreciate any advise in regards to moving to southern Maine (school systems, housing with pets, towns, etc.). I've taught in New York City (dislike city life) for 4 years now with a masters degree in one of the worst areas in the city and looking for a more outdoorsy life style (love rafting, hiking, nature in general) where I don't have to worry about a student going on a rampage and destroying my classroom. :-) Don't get me wrong, I love teaching but would appreciate a less stressful work environment where brawls aren't the norm.
I plan on moving after the next school year finishes (summer of 2008) so I have plenty of time to research areas and visit; however, I believe in being very prepared because it's going to be just me and my pets. So any advise and/or guidance from an "insiders" perspective is truly greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 PM

38 posts, read 82,666 times
Are you still looking for information? I live in Limestone in Aroostook County. We have a magnet school up here and they are always looking for teachers. They offer housing on a limited bases. You don't need to be a wiz in Science or Math but it helps because there are usually more open slots for those positions. We have some of the best snowmobile trails in the country (Michigan is number one). Good luck.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,281 times
My experience is that they won't even respond to you even if they have an opening unless you have had your NY certificate transferred to Maine, and you are actually there. I applied for a part time position in Hancock county school, but without actually being there and being able to show that I had a transferred certificate, they didn't even bother to reply. Maybe they didn't want to pay my 38 years of experience!

But this happened in another area too: nursing. So be there in person with your actual certificate.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,228,303 times
I'm happy to report that Michelle is teaching in Auburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: