Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,730 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been reading all of your information about Maine for months now and finally signed up.

We have been vacationing in Maine for years now and are seriously considering a move.

We really like the Cornish area but are nervous about all of the usual stuff -
schools, hospitals and doctors, and having children -- is there stuff for them to do.

Anybody, know the area that could give some insight?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 PM

581 posts, read 714,315 times
Didn't they have a very large, ie 5 miles long, yard sale there a week or so ago? That tells you something!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,512 times
Cornish is a fairly small town. The schools are SAD 55, Sacopee Valley High School. I think your closest hospitals are Portland and Conway, NH. There should be a small volunteer rec department. Probably baseball, softball and soccer. There is a great little pizza place near the Motel. It is definitely small town living. Oh, and there is a great place to swim in nearby Parsonsfield on a lake called Long Pond. No sand beach, but a sandy bottom lake that is very shallow for a long time.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,395 times
jac is right. It is a small town, pretty busy in the summer however with visitors. Lots of antique shops. There is a rec council which organizes baseball, softball, soccer, swim lessons, basketball, field hockey. Places to eat include 2 pizza joints, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Bay Haven (Seafood) and two upperscale yet comfortable dining rooms, Krista's and the Restaurant at the Cornish Inn. Also a bakery on the other end of town.
There is a motel and the Cornish Inn for lodging. The school is small and very parent friendly. Medical care including physicians, optometrist, dental are all available in town and surrounding towns; also a Shop-N-Save grocery store with Community Pharmacy and Rite Aid Pharmacy. Some town water and sewage, depending where you are.
Check the town website for activities. There is an annual Apple Festival and Bluegrass Event which normally take place on the same weekend.
And yes, we have alot of yard sales during the warmer months. You should book a stay at the Cornish Inn and meet the people in the community by going to the businesses and yard sales. You will find that most people are fun and friendly. I did not grow up here, but I love this town.

Last edited by JeepCornish; 03-18-2008 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: additional info added

Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,315 times
When I was young we had an old farm house in Cornish and I just loved that town. Back then you could go to Denmark on Saturday nights and there was a barn dance every Saturday. That was great fun.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,111,128 times
Cornish is one of my favorite towns ever. Beautiful mountain, river, and lake views, close enough to basic shopping, a wonderfully supportive agricultural community, lots of clubs/groups you can join within reasonable distance.

Ossippee Valley Fair is always nice, and different events are held at the fairgrounds throughout the summer. Any direction you take from Cornish has lovely views. Closest "big" shopping towns, for marathon shoppers, are Windham (20-25 minutes?) South Portland (45+ minutes), or North Conway, NH (45 minutes and no sales tax!) In winter or summer you can take a ride up to Naples, for boating, 4th of July fireworks, winter snowmobile events. Bridgton's not fair either. Bethel is about an hour and a quarter away.

One of the best things about the Cornish area is that it's a 4-season destination. By this I mean you not only have lots of recreational opportunities all year, you also have people coming through town all year while not clogging it up entirely. So you'll never feel like it's "dead" in the winter. There's always people coming through. On, and it's also just 25 minutes to USM-Gorham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine