Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM

33 posts, read 101,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just wanted to share a great experience I had in your neck of the woods this year.

We traveled from our home in Florida to Maine this summer with our 3 kids in order to enjoy some part of summer outside of the sweltering heat and humidity, and to give the kids a taste of what I loved about Maine so much growing up there. We actually drove up, since we had planned other stops along the way, and also I didn't want to get the feeling of "well, time to get back to the airport". If we wanted to stay an extra day--or three--that's what we'll do!

It all turned out better than I hoped. The weather was perfect, sunny and warm without a drop of rain for the 6 days we were up there. We stayed at my father's place on a pond near Bethel, where the kids got to go swimming (in something other than chlorinated pool), kayaking, sail-boating, fishing, berry picking (lots of blackberries just come in), ATVing, and much more. We did some neat stuff like parking with locals at twilight in a Moose-sighting spot (near a sand/salt depot in some remote town). Didn't see one, but the kids enjoyed the anticipation just the same. All this free of charge in the fields around town.

Living in Florida, it's hard for our children to do much outside in the summer, other than running from one air-conditioned environment to the next. This trip helped expand their world a little and allowed them to enjoy and appreciate a more relaxed, simple and outdoorsy mode of life that we don't live the rest of the year.

We love Maine and someday we'll return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

130 posts, read 282,731 times
Maine has many wonders to offer you, and it sounds like you have only scratched the service.
Glad you had fun.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,152,520 times
So glad you all had such a good time.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,552,191 times
1912d - glad you could bring your kids to Maine. I'm sure they will have lasting happy memories of it. You must have been here in August - good choice - as June and July were wet and some days it got down to 55 degrees. I think the hot summers would keep me from living in Florida as I love it outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: