Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:07 PM

48,186 posts, read 22,030,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
when you go to see houses and you automatically take off your shoes so you don't track mud into the place.
or the time warner man has big booties that go over his work shoes for the same purpose.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
oh I know!! The puppy discovered mud on Sunday. You should have seen her! I have pictures I should post.... Needless to say the run has been moved to the still snow filled front yard!

I got the 10 year old's mud boots yesterday--and they fit me!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Golloshes are just rubber outer shoes that fit around a pair of shoes. They're not really boots. We used to call them rubbers when i was a kid. Do they still make them? Then there were overshoes which were rubber boots that fit over your shoes and had 5-6 metal clips to fasten them. We wore them in teh winter to school.
Yes, they still make "rubbers" in this context.. I have seen them somewhere recently while looking for a pair of mucks, ladies size 7 or thereabouts.

Not sure about galoshes.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM

When I was growing up...1940's.... rubbers were the rubber thingies that stretched over you shoes....black stretchy rubber...low tops. Golloshers were the boot like things that went over your shoes and had those metal clips to fasten them....they were both a pain but the rubbers were even worse than the golloshers.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I was growing up...1940's.... rubbers were the rubber thingies that stretched over you shoes....black stretchy rubber...low tops. Golloshers were the boot like things that went over your shoes and had those metal clips to fasten them....they were both a pain but the rubbers were even worse than the golloshers.
I had both when I was a kid (60's) black low stretchy things were rubbers but got confused as to what golloshes were (or how to spell them). Had a couple pair of the over-shoes, as my mother called them. "Take the off ON THE PORCH!" I remember that part.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 AM

Default gollashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I had both when I was a kid (60's) black low stretchy things were rubbers but got confused as to what golloshes were (or how to spell them). Had a couple pair of the over-shoes, as my mother called them. "Take the off ON THE PORCH!" I remember that part.
I just spelled them with the -er ending because that is how we pronounced the word.....but the correct spelling I find is GOLLASHES and they are defined as "rubber rain boots that can be worn over shoes or if lined can be worn over socks".

Now I am finding them advertised as goloshes!

(I don't know if there is a singular or plural form of the word....I bought a pair of gollashes....I lost one gollashe ????)

Last edited by elston; 04-01-2009 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: gollashes vs goloshes.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
I remember as a little girl I had red rubber boots that went right over my red Keds

Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
yea.. but y'know... rubbers worked really well. So did golloshes (however you say or spell them!)... I remember rubbers as being for either gals or guys but golloshes, which were always black, were for guys only.

My mom and I had another style of rubber overshoe (yes! my mind just clicked that was what she called them... like their proper name, though she would tell me to "put on your boots" referring to the same thing) that went over our shoes and had a couple of button like things on the side, where the rubber of the boot folded over and the stretchy elastic thing (kind of like a hair elastic) that was cinched down in the middle with a bit of metal, making two loops that went over both buttons to hold them closed.

Mom even had a kind made out of a mostly clear stuff that had a bit of a heel for her everyday heel shoes (nothing for her dress "high" heels though!

I think those clear ones -- I had a pair too, for rainy weather (and heavier ones for winter snow) were marketed as Rain Dears. (yep I was right... thank you Google!

NOW I feel old!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM

642 posts, read 1,257,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
My mom and I had another style of rubber overshoe (yes! my mind just clicked that was what she called them... like their proper name, though she would tell me to "put on your boots" referring to the same thing) that went over our shoes and had a couple of button like things on the side, where the rubber of the boot folded over and the stretchy elastic thing (kind of like a hair elastic) that was cinched down in the middle with a bit of metal, making two loops that went over both buttons to hold them closed.
Yep, we always wore boots over shoes. Mom bought 'em big so they'd go over our shoes for a couple of years. If it was really cold, and we were going to be out for a while, we wore Dad's wool socks over our shoes before we put on the boots . No kid today would be caught dead in them. However, the 18 year old boy went to school the other day in white tight jeans and (what I would call) white old man loafers. It made this 1973 high school grad weak with laughter. Talk about not being caught dead in something LOL.

We switched to rubbers when the mud dried to ankle depth and in the fall. You could get them in black and s__t brown and red which must have been hard to find because we always lusted for red but usually got stuck with brown.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 PM

163 posts, read 295,710 times
This thread brings back more memories than I care to admit. As a kid growing up in the 50's, I can recall my mother yelling, " don't kick off your rubbers!". Rubbers were not "cool", but if it was slushy or muddy I never won that battle. As I hit the porch after running off the bus down our driveway, SOP was to push down the heel of one rubber with the toe of the other foot. Next move was to kick the rubber off leaving a trail of mud along the trajectory and the wall of the house. Repeat other foot. Needless to say, this did not please mom.

Goloshes were not as bad, because you had to wear something over your shoes when two feet of snow had just fallen. However, the preferred footwear for the boys in grammar school was "pacs". They were green rubber boots that came up to just below the knee. You wore heavy wool socks with the mandatory red or green horizontal stripes at the top rolled down about 3 inches over the top of the boot.

My dad didn't want me to wear them to school as he said, " they don't support your feet and you'll get fallen arches. Also your feet can't breathe and they will sweat and stink in the warm schoolhouse." By eighth grade he finally gave in and I was allowed to wear pacs to school. Far cry from Calvin Kline and too close to A Christmas Story moment.

Raising my own children in the 80's was different but the same. My stubborn son would insist on wearing shorts and no jacket to jr. high even when it was in the forties here in Northwest Florida. Had to be cool & tough.

It's a long way from rubbers & golashes. I guess now it could be Tats and piercings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine