Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

I will say however, that I don't like the fact that my children are being essentially used as "guinea pigs" for new pedagogy (particularly when the "new" pedagogy is something that so clearly didn't work back "in my day.") I guess I just overstated my opinion (easy to do on message boards where one isn't face-to-face I guess). That's off topic, so I'll drop that one.
The students would benefit from computers in the classroom to a computer lab (or two) on campus just as much as they would if they were assigned their own laptop. But here is the catch; computers in the classroom are common place these days, so there is no big deal in that. However, the state handing out 100,000 laptops to students is a big deal...and a big news story. This is something that people in Oregon, and Montana, and Alabama, are going to see on the nightly news or read about in the newspaper. Essentially, publicity for the state. A laptop just might be the carrot that will lure families who are considering a move to New England to choose Maine over the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
The only two perspectives I can speak to are language arts and music. Beverly originally wanted the laptops to enhance writing skills, grammar, punctuation, etc. By seeing the words on a screen and learning how to descriptively write a sentence, she opened up a whole world for kids that couldn't see it on paper.

My son is a music teacher in public schools - laptops have enabled him to teach music composition, arranging, styles and a whole raft of music that isn't teachable on paper. He can make a young generation of children understand what it's like to write a piece of music that contains two completely different styles and make them work together. For instance, think of playing Jingle Bells and right in the middle of that song, insert the trio from the National Emblem March. Laptops have opened a whole new world to today's children.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
We all say we want our district/state/country to have THE BEST educational system in the world...but when it comes down writing that check we are more worried about our car's tire rims and the alignment...
Well, the thing is that the state of Maine requires a vehicle inspection in order for you to legally drive your car on the roads. Something as insignificant as an old wiper blade can cause you to fail the inspection. I took my car in for its annual inspection earlier this week. It failed. It failed because of a worn tire and a busted ball joint. So yeah. If the state mandates yearly inspections the least that they could do is to help insure that our vehicles sustain as little damage as possible while driving on its roads. Yeah, the ball joint could have just been old and worn, but I have more than a suspicion that the monster potholes around town played a role in the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Can you hear it now? Why do the college students get these computers? Why not every other adult? Why college students? College is optional, if you want to go, buy your own laptop. Someone is always going to complain. If we don't provide laptops to keep our students up to date and competitive someone's going to complain about that too.
Yea, I know. No matter what happens there will always be someone around to say that it is not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Who's kid is getting a free computer at school? That's like saying they get free desks, free chalk and free text books.
Well, I have no idea how this works.

[/quote]

Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"Do the students get to keep these computers, or do they have to return them when they leave school? I mean wouldn't they be state property? Are the parents responsible for repairs? Replacements? 100,000 laptops in the hands of teenagers...I'll bet that 30,000 of them are going to go 'missing'."

When the first batch became obsolete the students were offered the chance to buy them for $50 each. Many students already had much better computers and simply copied the useful files onto a thumb drive . They put the info on their personal computers and went on with their lives. Those $50 computers were offered to the public. Most were sold. Those computers had been owned by the school districts.

The biggest problems with the first batch of computers were faulty batteries. They were covered by Apple. The parents are only responsible for repairs when their toddlers dump soup onto the keyboards and such other incompatible acts.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Do the students get to keep these computers, or do they have to return them when they leave school? I mean wouldn't they be state property? Are the parents responsible for repairs? Replacements? 100,000 laptops in the hands of teenagers...I'll bet that 30,000 of them are going to go 'missing'."

When the first batch became obsolete the students were offered the chance to buy them for $50 each. Many students already had much better computers and simply copied the useful files onto a thumb drive . They put the info on their personal computers and went on with their lives. Those $50 computers were offered to the public. Most were sold. Those computers had been owned by the school districts.

The biggest problems with the first batch of computers were faulty batteries. They were covered by Apple. The parents are only responsible for repairs when their toddlers dump soup onto the keyboards and such other incompatible acts.
My son is saving his allowance and looks forward to being able to purchase one next year (for $60.00) from the school. He's on a computer set up "team" at school now, so he's quite interested in getting one. They will be upgrading, and that's how is is able to do that.

Last edited by cebdark; 03-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
The only two perspectives I can speak to are language arts and music. Beverly originally wanted the laptops to enhance writing skills, grammar, punctuation, etc. By seeing the words on a screen and learning how to descriptively write a sentence, she opened up a whole world for kids that couldn't see it on paper.

My son is a music teacher in public schools - laptops have enabled him to teach music composition, arranging, styles and a whole raft of music that isn't teachable on paper. He can make a young generation of children understand what it's like to write a piece of music that contains two completely different styles and make them work together. For instance, think of playing Jingle Bells and right in the middle of that song, insert the trio from the National Emblem March. Laptops have opened a whole new world to today's children.
Good points. I can support the purchase of laptops for that type of teaching.
I'm still chewing on the fact that spell-check is so heavily used now, but that's only because of what I see in daily life. I also was a little put out at the applications I screened at the retail store where I worked at last year. The reason for this is that most employment kiosk computers don't have spell-check, and I'm seeing that the lack of spelling skills are becoming problematic to that end.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The students would benefit from computers in the classroom to a computer lab (or two) on campus just as much as they would if they were assigned their own laptop. But here is the catch; computers in the classroom are common place these days, so there is no big deal in that. However, the state handing out 100,000 laptops to students is a big deal...and a big news story. This is something that people in Oregon, and Montana, and Alabama, are going to see on the nightly news or read about in the newspaper. Essentially, publicity for the state. A laptop just might be the carrot that will lure families who are considering a move to New England to choose Maine over the rest.
Interesting....

Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

This is a good point (whether intentional or not).

Quote:
Interesting....
Laptops in and of themselves are not critical to a child's, or anyones, scholastic success. The only things that a student really needs to know how to do is to use Word (and Office in general) and how to properly cite a webpage. Sure, you could include research into that as well, but all you do with that is type in your query into Google. There are probably a few other "small" things, but nothing of the upmost importance. Sure, they can be used to aid the teacher in the classroom, but a computer lab would accomplish the same thing.

Yes, computers are pretty much essential in todays employment environment, but knowing how to use a computer and knowing how to use computer programs are two separate things. You can be computer savvy until the cows come home and it won't mean a darn thing. A lot of people know a thing or two about cars, but that in no way means that they know how to operate on one. You can know your way around a computer and back again and then be completely clueless when someone introduces you to a program like Maya.

So what is the point? That these students learn how to turn a computer on and off, and to essentially do everything that they already know how to do? Or will these students actually learn computer science, some basic programming, and gain rudimentary knowledge of some of the more popular programs being used in the work place (CAD, business/banking, etc.)?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Good points. I can support the purchase of laptops for that type of teaching.
I'm still chewing on the fact that spell-check is so heavily used now, but that's only because of what I see in daily life. I also was a little put out at the applications I screened at the retail store where I worked at last year. The reason for this is that most employment kiosk computers don't have spell-check, and I'm seeing that the lack of spelling skills are becoming problematic to that end.
I can't help but notice how much misspelling and faulty grammar there is on the internet at large. I thought one of my banking sites was a scam because I caught some misspelling in the statement text. It was for real! Pity that language arts are suffering so( i suffer from bad typing frequently).

Old 03-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This is a good point (whether intentional or not).

So what is the point? That these students learn how to turn a computer on and off, and to essentially do everything that they already know how to do? Or will these students actually learn computer science, some basic programming, and gain rudimentary knowledge of some of the more popular programs being used in the work place (CAD, business/banking, etc.)?

And those are good questions - they've run through my mind more than once. I don't have enough experience yet with that to answer it. Are they using them in the fashion you described, or are they just replacing paper, books and more traditional pedagogy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine