Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Maybe farmworker fairies will fall out of the sky and work for free! Well, it was a nice thought. As it has been said at least three times now, no, I can't. Maybe this will make why the answer is still no clear. When I worked in an office in a business suit nobody ever suggested I walk away from my work to go to lunch. People respected that boundary. I've been self employed for 15 years and it's very different. Going to lunch isn't a one hour break now. Peachie would NOT want me walking into the Nook in Muck boots, jeans with holes in the knees and dirty smudges where I've wiped my hands, hair pulled up and looking wild, stained shirt, and dirt under my nails. She'd have to stick me in the Serenade room out of sight. A one hour lunch means stopping work to shower again and get ready, drive 35 minutes to get there, have lunch, drive 35 minutes to get home, change back into work clothes and get back to work. Lunch is easily four hours. It's different this year. Last summer was cold and wet making for a poor growing season. I had more time and a third of the land I'm growing on this year. We're prepared for cold and wet with hoop houses we can throw together if needed this year.

If a lunch date happens to fall on a day I have enough help, don't have a market or deliveries, packing, pick ups or a buying club order, I will be there.
I know you're busy. But I'm not going to exclude you as if I've forgotten about you. And besides, a time might pop up when you can join in. So I guess you're just going to have to learn how to be liked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,526 times
Sorry if anybody feels pressured. My invitations are intended to make everybody feel included, even when they can't attend get togethers. I know what its like to have limited free time. Hopefully, it will be that way again when I get the chance to go back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine