Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM

653 posts, read 1,919,976 times

Advertisements

haha, Too late, it is out there in the net. I would not do any things that would harm the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I don't know if they are illegal, but they are most definately not encouraged. It would be wise to not tell the neighbors what you are doing. Although, in Waltham, probably everybody has their own dump anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
By all means we want to use, re-use and wear-out everything we have.

We do burn most everything that is burnable.

What I have seen buried most often has been tin cans, washing machines, and broken bottles.

We have used tin for projects, taken apart washing machines for the sheet metal, etc. So most metals can be re-used for other projects.

I have never blown gas, so I do not really have a good method of re-cycling glass.

Petroleum-based plastics, rubber, and synthetics present a problem. I would have to hope that since petroleum appears to have came to us as a bacteria byproduct, that eventually even plastics will return to the Earth. Given the right bacteria gains access to them.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,018,268 times
Most plastics and petroleum based products require sunlight to break down and it is a lengthy process. Glass can be tumbled and the polished shrds can be used for anything that beach glass can be used for.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,309 times
Be careful when burning your own trash as many materials today contain carcinogens, even white paper and light cardboard.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM

143 posts, read 253,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
IF you choose to do this, please be very aware of what you bury, for the sake of your -- and your neighbors -- ground water and land.

And where you bury it, for the sake of whomever might own the land after you are gone.

I had to deal with "homegrown" landfill that had been done in a place I bought out west and would never recommend it.

My thoughts are that if you are concerned about making less of an impact on the country landfill that you "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" more, give more thought when you buy stuff about disposal (both in regard to longevity of the stuff you buy and quantity of packaging it comes with).

Likely not a popular opinion, but it's mine and I am sticking by it!
Oh, thank you Starwalker! This earth of ours hurts enough already. We have to keep on helping it to flourish and to ensure our safety and the safety of those who follow us.... I agree wholeheartedly!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,018,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
Be careful when burning your own trash as many materials today contain carcinogens, even white paper and light cardboard.

Yes, it's a good idea to keep your distance from the fire smoke. And, gardeners, beware! It's very easy to inadvertently to burn new shoots of poison ivy or poison oak...very deadly when inhaled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine