Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times

Advertisements

Acadianlion, since you seem to see "gangs" and hookers in so many places lately, I wonder if you would help us out and tell us your definition of a "gang" and how you identify "gang" members while driving by on the highway. Are you talking Crips and Bloods and MS-13 or the local football team?

As for the hookers, I won't even ask. But I am sincerely interested in your identification procedures and accuracy for "gangs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM

581 posts, read 713,994 times
So, Acadianlion, is Bucksport like, the place to go, if ur lookin for a little "action"? Do you know if there are any places closer to Bangor?

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 02-26-2007 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: to make a reply

Old 02-27-2007, 02:57 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,656 times
Can't say I've ever seen hookers or gangs in Bucksport...that would not be a major worry of mine. Now if you're trying to speed in Bucksport, THAT would be a mistake. Everyone from "away" gets a ticket at least once in Bucksport--a right of passage I think.

As for the town itself, it's got beautiful, historical homes. Also doesn't have a lot of money as the area goes, so many of them are not "fixed up", which means you can them cheap. Also cheap b/c of the papermill. Personally I would never live in that town b/c of the paper mill. Not because of the traffic, but b/c I am not convinced that whatever spews out of there is not carcinogenic. Not a risk I would be willing to take. I'd also disagree that they have great schools. If you look athe the scores for HS in Blue Hill vs. Bucksport...quite a difference. They do have good HS sports, but academics are not up to par w/other HS in the area, like Blue Hill.

Pam

Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,510 times
Default wow

Well, I grew up in Bucksport, and I have to laugh at some of the comments from the people who have "driven" through the "ghetto" of bucksport...pretty tough living, haha. All seriousness aside though, bucksport is about as peaceful a town as you're going to find...it's close enough to Bangor to be able to get to some of the entertainment/shopping, etc. but far enough to be very peaceful, and not sure what smell people are talking about, I haven't lived there for awhile and I don't notice any smell coming home, lol.....I do notice it in Lincoln, however. If I were to pick a town, Hampden is a great town, somewhat expensive, but great school and neighborhoods. But bucksport, no hookers that I know of or gangs, they, like mentioned above, were probably a group of teenagers that were called a gang. I would pick a place not right in downtown bucksport, but out in the back of bucksport is pretty good land where you could build or buy

Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 AM

35 posts, read 202,603 times
I grew up in Bucksport and probably would not move back. It is a town where football is for men and tennis is for girls. It is not artsy or interesting. Blue collar all the way. It may have some beautiful, cheap homes, but you have to ask yourself why. There is always a reason.

I hope to move back to Maine someday, but not to Bucksport. Blue Hill...maybe.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:21 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
That's funny, and I'm really trying to be very respectful and not pee my pants laughing here. Those girls you see are not neccesarily hookers- they probably just all buy their clothes at the tacky Family Dollar up on the hill. No doubt there is crime, and drug addiction in Bucksport (and every single little village in Maine) and there probably are women there that have money for sex so that they can buy drugs, but they are not the ones walking on Main Street. Quite honestly, those women might be outright $luts, but not neccesarily doing it for money.

That being said, I find Bucksport to be a funny town- there are a lot of older people there who have lived there all of their lives, and in that aspect, there is a strong traditional family feeling there, but I also see a lot of young slackers and generally poor people who just can't make it out of that town.

I like Miles Lane Elementary- I find the teachers are nice, the school is nice. I don't have much contact with the middle or high schools, so I really can't comment on them.

Bucksport is conveniently located near Belfast, Bangor, Ellsworth/MDI, and the Blue Hill peninsula, which all offer various goings-on and services.

Blue Hill is nice as well, but I find the split of the two populations (the local redneck-types and the New Yorker types) to be odd and not harmonious. There are a lot of working poor in Blue Hill, and it always seems that the uppercrust tries to deny that. Nice shops and galleries, though. Some nice restaurants, too. Not the definition of a "nice" restaurant, but I will be interested to see how Yianni's Pizza does (in the old Uncle Jay's building) this summer- I was sad to see that UJ's had closed.

You may want to look at some of the smaller surrounding towns- Orrington, Penobscot, Sedgwick, Surry, Orland, Dedham- likely with fewer prostitutes and cheaper land to boot!

Or Deer Isle- but it takes a "special" person to live here... at least that's what my therapist said...

Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesmario View Post
Well, I grew up in Bucksport, and I have to laugh at some of the comments from the people who have "driven" through the "ghetto" of bucksport...pretty tough living, haha.
I don't know- have you been up on the hill lately? It's looking pretty ghetto-ish up there this time of year! The halter tops and the short-shorts come out, and the boom-boomers have their rap all amped out and flowing out of their black-windowed SUV's. It pales in comparison to other places, but that's pretty darn ghetto-ish for Hancock County!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,134 times
Default Bucksport

I grew up in a similar town to Bucksport, but on the coast of Massachusetts,Newburyport, which is now a prestigious place to live and also pretty expensive . It is another "Yankee" city with good people in all the strata of society. I moved here 20 years ago and have found the town to be a wonderful place to live with many nice properties that are still a bargain. I think property here, particularly waterfront property along the Penobscot is a wonderful investment and I have to laugh about " ghettos" as the downtown area is quite small and many of the properties are being purchased by people with foresight and being restored. This is also what happened in my hometown. Look at Newburyport of the 70's and how property values rose there.As for the papermill, it uses a process different from Westbrook and Lincoln and there is NO odor. The steam above the mill is just that..... steam! Can you say electrostatic precipitators (that remove pollution from the air)? By the way, Bucksport was settled by Jonathan Buck and settlers from Newburyport, Mass. Wake up people before property goes skyhigh as it did in Newburyport.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM

90 posts, read 302,910 times
SHHhhhhhhh, let me buy some more land before everyone discovers it. ;-)

Old 07-11-2008, 04:40 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmen View Post
SHHhhhhhhh, let me buy some more land before everyone discovers it. ;-)
truckmen, I think you should hook up with Genie Francis from Days of our Lives! She owns a nice little boutique right on Rt 1 just before Perry's Nut House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine