Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,331 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in sitting at a fire with a nice glass of wine and my derelict camping neighbors without the campground owner watching every move we make. It has just become ridiculous and embarrassing to watch the owners run this place like a jail with no sense of good business or community.

So, I am interested in having my own lot of land with a septic system, sewer etc. with 7-8 park model-like trailers on it. This is NOT to be run as a campground but simply 7-8 families wanting a get-a-way without the campground hassle.

permits, septic, soil testing, power, subdividing, realtors, etc...all of it. WHERE DO I START?

Thanks!

Last edited by the compound; 08-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the compound View Post
I'm interested in sitting at a fire with a nice glass of wine and my derelict camping neighbors without the campground owner watching every move we make. It has just become ridiculous and embarrassing to watch the owners run this place like a jail with no sense of good business or community.

So, I am interested in having my own lot of land with a septic system, sewer etc. with 7-8 park model-like trailers on it. This is NOT to be run as a campground but simply 7-8 families wanting a get-a-way without the campground hassle.

permits, septic, soil testing, power, subdividing, realtors, etc...all of it. WHERE DO I START?

Thanks!
Hmmm they must be Baptists. Anyway, maybe they have had bad experiences in the past that are making them gun-shy. Either way, it is always better to live without rules and regulations and people looking over your shoulder.

I'd start looking for land that has "no restrictions" and check with my county regarding rules and regulations. Keep in mind to never take anyones word on anything. Request to SEE (WITH YOUR OWN EYES) any and all regulations, rules, laws, etc. People tend to make things up as they go along (especially people who *think* they are in authority, but really do not have a clue (i.e. county clerks). Check also with your health department (again requesting copies of all documentation and taking no ones word for anything) for information regarding sewers, etc.

I would not share with the powers that be, my intention of putting more than one RV on it at any given time. It is basically, none of their business what you put on your land as long as it is not a PERMANENT structure. If there are no restrictions then parking as many vehicles as you want should not be an issue.

As for sewer disposal, I urge you to buy a copy of "Humanure" which demonstrates how to use a sawdust composting toilet and is much kinder to environment. There are also greywater systems that can be put into place to reuse water for watering trees, etc.

best of luck and have fun

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-10-2008, 03:46 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,497,064 times
I believe that if you purchase land in an unorganized township (UT) that you will not need a building permit for any temporary structure. Furthermore, if the land you purchase has not been subdivided in the past 5 years, you can make an immediate division into 2 parcels (the "Two-in-Five Rule") without LURC review, which might make your situation even easier, as there would then be two owners of two separate parcels, rather than one. The two parcels need not be evenly divided - you could have two RVs on one portion, and six on the other, for instance. As an added bonus, the taxes on UT property are generally much lower than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine