Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,435 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I know... I'm a local but I don't know enough or the basic why is it called devils head and the reason I'm mentioning it is because DH and I went down river to red beach and turned onto the road with the sign that said "Devils Head" Drove ... and saw nothing but outhouses and no real signs or plaques about Devils Head.
Sooo0oo can anyone give me some history on it?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM

112 posts, read 283,391 times
Peachie
I thought You knew GOOGLE is Always Your Friend .
Bob

Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Peachie
I thought You knew GOOGLE is Always Your Friend .
Bob
Google is the only thing I use... but it wasn't giving me anything. I think if anyone else got information ... and I didn't... it was the devils head that is doing it..

~*eerie sounds in the back ground~*

Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Recently, the City of Calais acquired Devil's Head. This remarkable site is comprised of 318 acres of land; one mile of frontage on the St Croix estuary; 6/10 of a mile of frontage on Coastal U.S. Route One; and having a variety of significant features, including: a 340' high granite headland towering over the estuary; low tide sand and boulder beach; upland forest and abundant wildlife. Trail construction was completed in 2003
Calais, Maine -- Tourism

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
Peachie for me the best part of Devil's Head is the beach. The hike isn't bad, but there's no view from the top....if I hike uphill I want the reward of a view! There is a geocache up there, but it's still not enough to make me go up again....the beach is nice though, and it's a great spot to launch a kayak

Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Recently, the City of Calais acquired Devil's Head. This remarkable site is comprised of 318 acres of land; one mile of frontage on the St Croix estuary; 6/10 of a mile of frontage on Coastal U.S. Route One; and having a variety of significant features, including: a 340' high granite headland towering over the estuary; low tide sand and boulder beach; upland forest and abundant wildlife. Trail construction was completed in 2003
Calais, Maine -- Tourism
Oh thank you both for the post. Steve and I were discussing it while we were driving along the path and I guess I thought we would see a plaque about the history of it, so I couldn't tell him much since I really didn't know myself.
Thanks again msina and molly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Peachie for me the best part of Devil's Head is the beach. The hike isn't bad, but there's no view from the top....if I hike uphill I want the reward of a view! There is a geocache up there, but it's still not enough to make me go up again....the beach is nice though, and it's a great spot to launch a kayak

Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM

112 posts, read 283,391 times
Peachie
I wasn't trying to be My usual self , when I googled it , I got ( 3 ) Devil's Heads in Maine , and a lot of info on each one , but I was WAY OUT on the page count .
Bob

Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Peachie
I wasn't trying to be My usual self , when I googled it , I got ( 3 ) Devil's Heads in Maine , and a lot of info on each one , but I was WAY OUT on the page count .
Bob
No problem, I just couldn't find history on it. Why was it named Devils head. I thought I might see a rock that looked like the head of a devil or somthing.
I guess I was punching in wrong words.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Kind of on a related note... Can you get an actual tour of the St. Croix Island site? Is the info just limited to the visiter spot on the mainland? It's a pretty spot, but the real history happened out on the island.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
You used to be able to access the Island from the American side by kayak, canoe, boat....but that all stopped a few years ago. Now it's illegal to access the Island at all from our side. The look-out on our side is nice, with a nice display of the village. There's also one on the Canadian side, thought last time I visited it wasn't as detailed with the information. The statues are very well done. I don't know if they ever allow people over there now or not, and I don't have any idea why they changed access. You could probably google it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine