Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 PM

259 posts, read 703,920 times

Advertisements

I have seen some beautiful photographs of Maine (well, theyre all beautiful), many of which encorporate mist rising from waters in Maine.... and I am wondering how it is day to day there. Is there mist or fog quite frequently? How about season to season variations? What should I be expecting...and inland vs shore? Being deprived of it here, I look forward to experiencing more fog/mist actually as crazy as that may sound

When I visited San Diego a long time ago I remember there being fog for a few hours early in the morning on the shore each day I was there. (It doesn't make for the greatest driving conditions though, I know. We get it once in a blue moon during winter here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
I can only speak regarding the coastal areas from Casco Bay up through Penobscot Bay, I've seen some summers when the fog didn't lift until late July. Often it's foggy early in the morning, then the sun will burn it off by mid morning.
During the winter, fog is sometimes referred to as 'sea smoke'.

Other than that, it's wet, does a number on your hair and is hard to navigate a boat though.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
A few years ago, we had fog every single day in August. Made for lots of unhappy vacationers.. (And I was thinking- it's not rain, and it's not snow- be happy!)

I think Deer Isle makes it's own fog, though.. I will come home from inland areas, and you can see the fog hovering over Deer Isle, but everywhere else..sunny. ???

Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
We made the best of a bad summer one year here. As The Mermaid said we had fog most of the summer. We learned how to navigate Casco Bay with GPS. We had a ball! Yes it was damp and nasty but we dressed for it and in a week we had logged every important bell, light and (bar) into the GPS for permanent storage. I can't tell you how many times after that we used these waypoints to find our way around in the fog or at night. Point is Fog can be Fun!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We made the best of a bad summer one year here. As The Mermaid said we had fog most of the summer. We learned how to navigate Casco Bay with GPS. We had a ball! Yes it was damp and nasty but we dressed for it and in a week we had logged every important bell, light and (bar) into the GPS for permanent storage. I can't tell you how many times after that we used these waypoints to find our way around in the fog or at night. Point is Fog can be Fun!
The GPS certainly makes it easier to get around however doesn't give you much notice if there's a bigger vessel headed for your bow.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
We seldom have fog here, 30 miles by road north of Calais.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
Well, there is a nice fog and mist here in Eastport today. We were going over to Deer Island, but then we wouldn't see a thing. So, its paint the utility room with Kilz and then add a second coat tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Well, there is a nice fog and mist here in Eastport today. We were going over to Deer Island, but then we wouldn't see a thing. So, its paint the utility room with Kilz and then add a second coat tomorrow.
It is a bit foggy here in Milo this morning too... but we had MAJOR frontal passage, lots of thunder and lightning, rain from evening last through the night.

And just before the last round of storms started, K said he noted the first firefly of the season, on the screen of one of the livingroom windows.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
We tend to get quite a bit of fog in Rockland...today is a good example. Yesterday it was so hot everywhere but here....we froze with the wind and the fog. A very typical weatherman phrase...'cooler on the coast.'

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
There are days in Eastport, especially in June and early July, where you may not see Campobello Island for a day or two Sometimes it will clear off just enough so that you can see the fog bank sitting out there, and as the night comes along, so does the fog. I remember growing up we would plan to head out to the lake (Penamaquan) and it would be foggy and 65 in Eastport at 10 am and we'd get to the lake and it was beautiful, warm, and sunny!! Some summers are worse than others of course, but it doesn't last for days and days. I happen to love the sound of that fog horn at night coming in through an open bedroom window
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine