Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 02:44 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,571,055 times

Advertisements

A reminder to check yourself and pets for ticks. One of our dogs had a deer tick embedded in her ear last night, and I found an engorged dog (I think) tick in the house this afternoon. We spray our outdoor/hunting clothes with permetherin to slow them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 01:23 PM

605 posts, read 628,745 times
Another piece of advice: if you know you've been bitten by a tick, take doxycycline immedidiately. Don't even wait for test results. I was bitten by a tick this summer. I got sick a couple of weeks later and got tested. My doctor's office forgot to tell me that I tested positive for lyme disease until 3 weeks after the test. That put me in a higher risk category for long-term symptoms due to delayed treatment.

This "prophylactic" use of doxycycline is recommended by the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/F...ckBite-508.pdf

Old 10-13-2021, 01:41 PM

23,744 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Another piece of advice: if you know you've been bitten by a tick, take doxycycline immedidiately. Don't even wait for test results. I was bitten by a tick this summer. I got sick a couple of weeks later and got tested. My doctor's office forgot to tell me that I tested positive for lyme disease until 3 weeks after the test. That put me in a higher risk category for long-term symptoms due to delayed treatment.

This "prophylactic" use of doxycycline is recommended by the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/F...ckBite-508.pdf
Not only that, you should push for at least 30 days of the Doxy. The initial 2 or 3 days they often try to give you isn't going to finish off any infection, never mind lyme disease.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:01 AM

441 posts, read 442,961 times
my husbands young cousin was bitten and got Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. She got very sick. She has made a remarkable recovery. I remember visting cousins in Wyoming and my aunt and mom had to check all of kids.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:35 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,904,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not only that, you should push for at least 30 days of the Doxy. The initial 2 or 3 days they often try to give you isn't going to finish off any infection, never mind lyme disease.
Do you mean two to three weeks as opposed to days?

Old 10-16-2021, 05:40 AM

Post got lost in cyberspace and reappeared later on.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-16-2021 at 05:48 AM..

Old 10-16-2021, 05:45 AM

If you find a tick on you and it is attached, remove it with a special tick removal tool. Using the tool facilitates removing the tick without tearing it apart. Then you can put the tick in a plastic sandwich bag and seal it for transport. Not tearing it apart is important for sending it to the University of Maine to be tested for diseases. (Some say tweezers work just as well, but they didn't work for me. Tick was damaged and U of M couldn't test.) https://extension.umaine.edu/ticks/submit/

I googled tick removal tools. Several showed up in the search results. Examples: tick key removal tool (may not work with tiny ticks) and one called Tick Twister (two sizes in pkg) which is similar to one used by my doctor. There are tick removal how-to videos online. It's good to have a check for ticks buddy imo. I don't claim to be a tick expert, but I've found two, probably had three, since May.

If you have a dog, talk to your veterinarian about the Lyme-Lepto vaccine prior to a potential tick bite.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-16-2021 at 06:24 AM..

Old 10-16-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Do you mean two to three weeks as opposed to days?

I meant days. Often at the ER, they will try and give you 2 or 3 DAYS supply and call it good. Good luck with that...

Old 10-16-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I meant days. Often at the ER, they will try and give you 2 or 3 DAYS supply and call it good. Good luck with that...
Thanks. ... The reason I asked is I've found various healthcare providers with varying opinions but so far, none have suggested two or three days of doxy. 1) wait 5 to 6 weeks and get tested for lyme; this person refuses to prescribe doxy immediately, requires positive test results 2) two weeks of doxy 3) three weeks of doxy 4) four weeks of doxy if patient insists. ... just info I've gathered over the past few years personally and from friends.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Thanks. ... The reason I asked is I've found various healthcare providers with varying opinions but so far, none have suggested two or three days of doxy. 1) wait 5 to 6 weeks and get tested for lyme; this person refuses to prescribe doxy immediately, requires positive test results 2) two weeks of doxy 3) three weeks of doxy 4) four weeks of doxy if patient insists. ... just info I've gathered over the past few years personally and from friends.

Problem with that is if the tick was infected, a LOT of damage can be done in 5 to 6 weeks. It's most curable if you nail it early. Personally if I had an embedded tick and suspected infection, I would demand doxy right from the get go and go somewhere else if they refuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine