Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 08:21 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

I never experienced the fear of moving when we moved to Maine. In my careerfield, we were in the habit of moving every 3 to 5 years.

In 2020 we have lived here in Maine, longer than we were in any of our previous homes.

I suggest that you move into a rental, and spend some time slowly exploring the regions of Maine. Find if there are any places that make you fall in love. Go kayaking, take a few hikes, pick some berries, enjoy yourself.

We had a young couple out to our house yesterday afternoon, they picked 2 gallons [16 pints] of blueberries and appeared to have a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM

762 posts, read 1,751,103 times
I just moved to Maine from NYC, after dreaming and fantasizing about it for nearly 20 years. I am not made of money, and I am no spring chicken. But I had a choice between stagnation and change. I was unhappy with my living situation for a long, long time. Since change is the only absolute in life and the best chance for creating happiness, I chose to finally do it and move to Maine. I was tired of stagnating and wishing for something better. You know this old saying: "Put a wish in one hand and a pile of manure in the other, and what have you got?" (this is the polite version!)

All I can say to you is this:

JUST DO IT!

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets: Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.

~William Hutchinson Murray,
The Scottish Himalayan Expedition

Old 08-08-2020, 09:17 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times
Being in the OP's same age range I wanted to think on this a few days. The level of challenge for such a move in one's late 60's is not trivial. But the last statement of the OP makes me want to say to start working on the move. Living out the rest of one's days in a place you don't want to be is a big drag on the spirit and could easily shorten one's life. So it seems like you ought to commit to the move and start seriously on the house work.... if nothing else, it will give you something to focus on that is positive.

Right now is the time to put it on the market; with buyer demand being what it is, a house does not need to be perfect to sell. It sounds like the general house setting is decent and that will help sell it. The problem then will become where to go if it sells quickly, so where you will go, and what to do with your household goods, to takes some thought first.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:25 PM

605 posts, read 625,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets: Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.

~William Hutchinson Murray,
The Scottish Himalayan Expedition

Excellent quote, and I've found in the past that this is true, especially the part in bold. That's why I come to this forum.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I think to counteract the fears, you want to build on positive steps, and also you want to investigate living in Maine more fully.

Even a month or two in a rental, since you can work from home, will help with becoming more familiar with your chosen area. It will also help you to become more familiar with the housing stock in that area and surrounding areas.

Belfast is really hot right now, so being local would gain you an advantage to a. see if you wanted to move there, and b. get first pick of houses as they come on the market.
Good point about building (gradually) on positive steps.

I just can't see spending a month away from home right now. Granted, Maine has low COVID-19 infections, but it just doesn't feel like a good time to go out and about and get to know people. I've been to Belfast quite a few times, but mainly stopped briefly on my way eastward. I stopped in at the Co-Op several times and the strong community feel was obvious, very different from my town.

Last summer I met with a real estate agent in Belfast and she has been sending me properties to look at. There have been almost no houses of the type I'm looking for. This is the closest that's come up in the last year, but it's on route 1 in Northport and there is logging going on across the street: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-69202?view=qv

I'm hoping to do my annual Downeast camping trip this October. I will try to meet with the modular house company in Belfast, Broughman Builders.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Living out the rest of one's days in a place you don't want to be is a big drag on the spirit and could easily shorten one's life.
I hadn't even thought about the "shortening one's life" part, but I think you're right. For one thing, you're less motivated to take good care of yourself when you're uninspired. I'm just wondering, what's the point of living if I'm only going to do the same things over and over again for the next 20 years?

Since the beginning of the pandemic I've been trying to find new hiking trails to avoid the overcrowded ones. I noticed how good it felt to discover something new. There is just not too much left for me to discover in little New Hampshire. I want that uplifting sense of newness and discovery.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,978 times
Maybe you should consider a condo, Why be tied to all that home maintenance....

Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 AM

63 posts, read 63,729 times
Condo:
  • A book of Rules & Restrictions
  • Emails from mgmt telling you to move your car because the street cleaning is scheduled for 6am tomorrow
  • A lot of people congested in a small area
  • Common walls with your neighbors (and their noise, no matter how slight)
  • Neighbors playing frisbee in communal parking lot next to your car

Old 08-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLogger View Post
Condo:
  • Emails from mgmt telling you to move your car because the street cleaning is scheduled for 6am tomorrow

You forgot condo fee.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLogger View Post
Condo:
oooh I got some.

Scraping paint
exterior Painting
interior painting
mowing
weed wacking
got mulch?pulling weeds
re-mulching
leaf raking
tree trimming
spring clean up
fall clean up
storm came thru?(storm clean up, and maybe tree removal)
new roof
new paving
new furnace
new windows
new plumbing
flooded basement? new sump pump
power rooter(roots in the pipes)
power wash the deck
stain the deck
replace deck
garage door? yup it needs maintenance
snow? shovel, plow, or blow... your choice
ice dams
heavy snow? shovel the roof
Squirrel, bats, racoons in the attic
mice
ants

Everything on this list is something I've had to do in my home in the last 25 years

I'll try to think of some more after I write a $4500.00 check to the house painters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine