Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 08:23 PM

42 posts, read 39,602 times

Advertisements

I have a job in Richmond, Maine and want to arrive and start getting settled on November 5. I started looking around at potential places to stay a few weeks ago and filled out 2 applications for apartments yesterday but didn't realize how horribly desperate my situation actually is. I want to find a house to buy asap but all of the apartments seem to want a year lease, so that means I would be screwed every time I saw a house I like go by because I couldn't reasonably afford to move on it until probably at least 8 months. In the back of my mind I had naively thought I'd just get an extended stay motel but now that it's getting to be a time crunch and I look around a bit I haven't found a single one of them certainly not in Richmond, but not in Augusta or Lewiston or Auburn or Brunswick either. Airbnb isn't really any better as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do? I could stay comfortably enough in my van if I had electricity, but where?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 09:28 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Maine has a very high percentage of home ownership. That's nice until you're looking for an affordable rental. Have you contacted a real estate agent? Friends were able to find a rental through an agent last year. They liked it so much they made an offer and bought the house. Good luck. It's a lot of work.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 AM

42 posts, read 39,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Maine has a very high percentage of home ownership. That's nice until you're looking for an affordable rental. Have you contacted a real estate agent? Friends were able to find a rental through an agent last year. They liked it so much they made an offer and bought the house. Good luck. It's a lot of work.
You're not kidding. I've already done a lot of work and still don't have a thing. Filled out 2 applications that took half the day and got no reply. I knew it wouldn't be easy but this is horrible. And then every place wants a year lease so if you do find a house you want you can't get it unless you can afford to pay off the lease and pay a mortgage both at the same time. I haven't been able to find a realtor that can help with finding a temporary place under $1500 per month.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM

605 posts, read 623,055 times
Home share through Craigslist?

https://maine.craigslist.org/roo/d/s...999741543.html

"Inn room": https://maine.craigslist.org/sub/d/r...006644693.html

Last edited by Last1Standing; 10-27-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 10:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Maybe you can find an apartment with a 1-year lease for the first year and an agreement with the landlord to go month-to-month after that, to give you flexibility after the first year? It wouldn't be such a bad thing to have more time to get to know the area if you'd be buying a house.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:56 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Find out what the local newspaper is and check in their classified ads. This old school way may work.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:01 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
What about an extended stay motel? We usually tell everyone who comes to Maine to rent for a year to drive around, explore the area and decide where you want to live. Even if a motel/hotel doesn't advertise as extended stay, talk to the manager and see if you can work out a month to month deal. Hopefully, you can find something that doesn't require a one-year lease since you prefer the freedom of not having one.

I googled Gardiner, Maine (south of Augusta) and here are the results--be sure to scroll down. There are a few studios listed. https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search...t=7&trv_tttb=5

Have you checked out Craig's list, Richmond, Maine? https://maine.craigslist.org/search/...date=all+dates

Weekly rentals in Augusta https://maine.craigslist.org/apa/d/a...000151216.html

According to the listing, this apartment includes a heated garage--to be much appreciated for the next six months and all utilities are included, also flexible lease terms and it's wicked cute inside
https://maine.craigslist.org/apa/d/a...008748107.html

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-28-2019 at 03:38 PM..

Old 10-30-2019, 02:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
MY son was looking for an apartment to rent around Lewiston auburn area where he works as a pharmacist ….. at a hospital
we both looked for a month and saw 2 bedroom apartments around 900 plus per month average....which seems outrageous to me...and yes some cheaper ones in the undesirable places in Lewiston....

his diligence paid off ...he found a small house to rent which is fairly new and in a nice neighborhood for close to the same money as a 2 bedroom place … he loves it there.

look not only on craigslist....but many surrounding towns of house rentals..
also check some property management companies... and......the local newspapers some people still advertise there ..

Old 11-07-2019, 03:50 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
Have you tried offering the landlord a premium to go month to month instead of a lease? say $75 to $100 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine