Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:53 PM

304 posts, read 396,837 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

My late wife Eileen (just 13 weeks ago) HAS to be sending me some Love and help as I feel as though I've "Won The Lottery", so to speak.

I've been approved for a USDA Rural Home Development $0 down 4.0% 30 yr mortgage, bundled with the Main First Time Home Buyers Program.

I was up in Maine last Tuesday through last night, staying at the cute 'No View Farm B & B ' in Rumford Corner, and working with Brenda James from The Maine Real Estate Network, in Rumford.

I had about 30 homes/properties chosen, attempting to get some acreage, and was looking for a "fixer upper" as that's what I have worked on with another fellow, down here in 'Tax-a Connecticut'.
( The good ole State of Connecticut is BROKE to the tune of $50 BILLION dollars).
Gee, guess who's going to pay all of THAT?
The Connecticut taxpayers, that's who....
Ahh, but I diverse....

None of those properties, or the 20 or so that I found working with the Realtor, from the MLS, "qualified" for the stringent requirements of those two above programs.

The home has to be "move-in ready, with nothing wrong with them.

Dratt!!!

I found some very nice homes, with 9.7 acres, 8 acres, 5.4 acres and 3 acres.
Nope, don't qualify...

I kept hoping to be within say 20 - 30 mile radius of Rangeley Lake, but we couldn't find anything that would qualify, or within my (rather low) price range.

Long story short.

We went to look at a nice 1,050sq ft house on 1.78 acres in Peru, Me, listed for $65K.
It's kind of small, but at least there's some land, it's in a quiet neighborhood.
It's not as large as I had hoped for, with not as much land as I had hoped for, and even tho' it is rural, it could be much more Rural.
But I guess that's the best that I will find.

We put in our offer at $60K, with a few repairs that must be addressed.
So we'll see.

So, who can tell me about the Rumford, Mexico, Peru etc area?

I wish that I was asking about the Rangeley area, towns like, Upton, Eustis, Madrid, Avon, Phillips, Strong, Weld etc.

Well, maybe next Life.

It's a possibility that I could start moving in by July 31st, but we'll see.

(I've gotta tell you lucky Maine folks that I Love your gasoline prices!
I filled up in Rumford, for $2.16/gallon!
We're getting hosed down here in CT with our 2nd or 3rd highest fuel taxes in the Nation, by having to pay $2.44/gallon, and guess what that's going up.

Ain't Life grand!

So, any/all information which you could provide will be greatly appreciated!

Irv in CT.....(for 1 last month).
I'm Maine bound after four years of researching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Not much help in your question, but I can offer my support, good luck on your move and a {{{{hug}}}

Old 07-01-2017, 08:39 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Same for me, I don't know answers to your questions, but very happy to read your post and to learn you're making good progress toward your goal of moving. Best wishes for success!

Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
That's great news, CTwoodnutt! I am so happy for you. I live southeast of that region (closer to Winthrop) so I am not really familiar with that area, but we have been hiking around there and really enjoy it. Beautiful scenery. You can read the online newspaper the Sun Journal from Lewiston/Auburn; it covers the Rumford/Peru area. Although it may not be the area you were hoping for, the great thing is: it is still Maine. You can always take day trips to visit the areas you like.

Best wishes on the home buying and the move! Hope you can be moved in before autumn is over. Autumn in Maine is WONDERFUL!

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 AM

133 posts, read 135,515 times
I've read many of your posts in the past couple of years, and I'm rooting for you! My sympathies for the recent loss of your wife. Congrats on getting approved for the USDA loan, and I'm hoping for the best with the property on which you put in the offer.

I was up in Weld just last week to poke around Mt. Blue State Park, a place I hadn't been for many years. This is a great state to drive around and return to special places over and over. There's no shortage of special spots for sure.

Keep us posted on your progress in Peru.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:38 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I made five trips to Maie when I was shopping for a place to buy. Each of my trips was a week long. My Buyer Agent set me up each time with many properties for me to look at each day. Each time when I returned to Connecticut, I was exhausted. There were so many properties, but none seemed to fill enough of the 'requirements' that we had set. Eventually, I found a property that suited us. All I can do is to encourage you to keep shopping.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:21 AM

2,027 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Very excited for you - i can feel the happiness from your post!!

We are coming up later in the month to look at more houses. Home in NJ is for sale, and just waiting til it's sold to make the move. Good luck and ENJOY!

Old 07-02-2017, 02:22 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi Group,

My late wife Eileen (just 13 weeks ago) HAS to be sending me some Love and help as I feel as though I've "Won The Lottery", so to speak.

I've been approved for a USDA Rural Home Development $0 down 4.0% 30 yr mortgage, bundled with the Main First Time Home Buyers Program.

I was up in Maine last Tuesday through last night, staying at the cute 'No View Farm B & B ' in Rumford Corner, and working with Brenda James from The Maine Real Estate Network, in Rumford.

I had about 30 homes/properties chosen, attempting to get some acreage, and was looking for a "fixer upper" as that's what I have worked on with another fellow, down here in 'Tax-a Connecticut'.
( The good ole State of Connecticut is BROKE to the tune of $50 BILLION dollars).
Gee, guess who's going to pay all of THAT?
The Connecticut taxpayers, that's who....
Ahh, but I diverse....

None of those properties, or the 20 or so that I found working with the Realtor, from the MLS, "qualified" for the stringent requirements of those two above programs.

The home has to be "move-in ready, with nothing wrong with them.

Dratt!!!

I found some very nice homes, with 9.7 acres, 8 acres, 5.4 acres and 3 acres.
Nope, don't qualify...

I kept hoping to be within say 20 - 30 mile radius of Rangeley Lake, but we couldn't find anything that would qualify, or within my (rather low) price range.

Long story short.

We went to look at a nice 1,050sq ft house on 1.78 acres in Peru, Me, listed for $65K.
It's kind of small, but at least there's some land, it's in a quiet neighborhood.
It's not as large as I had hoped for, with not as much land as I had hoped for, and even tho' it is rural, it could be much more Rural.
But I guess that's the best that I will find.

We put in our offer at $60K, with a few repairs that must be addressed.
So we'll see.

So, who can tell me about the Rumford, Mexico, Peru etc area?

I wish that I was asking about the Rangeley area, towns like, Upton, Eustis, Madrid, Avon, Phillips, Strong, Weld etc.

Well, maybe next Life.

It's a possibility that I could start moving in by July 31st, but we'll see.

(I've gotta tell you lucky Maine folks that I Love your gasoline prices!
I filled up in Rumford, for $2.16/gallon!
We're getting hosed down here in CT with our 2nd or 3rd highest fuel taxes in the Nation, by having to pay $2.44/gallon, and guess what that's going up.

Ain't Life grand!

So, any/all information which you could provide will be greatly appreciated!

Irv in CT.....(for 1 last month).
I'm Maine bound after four years of researching.

First of all real sorry about your loss. Hope you are coping OK.

Secondly, I might consider just going with a regular First Time Buyers or Conventional if possible. Those USDA loans can become a nightmare do deal with in the short run, and you may be better off just going with the property you really want and making improvements on your own terms.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM

304 posts, read 396,837 times
Default Hi Massnative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
First of all real sorry about your loss. Hope you are coping OK.

Secondly, I might consider just going with a regular First Time Buyers or Conventional if possible. Those USDA loans can become a nightmare do deal with in the short run, and you may be better off just going with the property you really want and making improvements on your own terms.

Hi Massnative,

I HAD to go with that USDA Rural Home Development Mortgage...
I was approved for a 'Conventional' Mortgage by the Franklin Savings Bank, but it was 20% Down (which I couldn't afford)....the Maximum that I could put down was 5%.
Plus the interest rate was 6.25% which was high, but YES I could have chosen the house that I wanted.

I had initially picked out about 30 houses, ranging in price from my absolute max. price of $70K, down to $23K.
My area of consentration WAS all around Rangeley (but of course not ON the water, as I'm a bit short of having Bill Gates dollars ) and everything that I had picked out was under the designation of "Fixer Upper", which is NOT allowed by either of the two loans.

The house had to be "move in ready" with nothing wrong with it, had to be four season, had a real heating system and etc.

The towns that I was looking in were as follows: [It's rather long, so please bear with me]...

Avon, Bigelow, Eustis, Dallas, Kingfield, Madrid (a U.T. !!!), Mexico, Phillips, Rangeley Plantation, Roxbury, Rumford, Strong, Upton, Weld, Stratton, Oquossic, Haines Landing, Newry, Houghton, Bryon, So. Arm, Carabassett, New Portland, Salem, Berlin, Magalloway, Lincoln.

After FOUR years of researching, looking, communicating with all the great folks on the Maine Forum here, I decided on those above towns, but because the loans are so "restrictive" I HAD to settle on the smaller than I wanted/need house in Peru.
Well, if I don't like it, I can always sell it in a year of two, and re-try for something up in the areas that I'd really like to be.

And Rumford has a ski mountain (I never knew that) called Black Mtn, where a day pass is $20ish dollars.....beats the Royal Hell out of the huge, but very expensive Sugar Loaf or Sunday River areas.
My lady realtor, who lives in Rumford, told me a day pass at Sunday River for instance costs $110 a Day!!!!!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for me!

Well, at least I'm 1/2 way to the beautiful Pinetree State.

Step #1.

Have an Explosive Fourth!

iRV IN CT......fo now.....

Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Last summer we tried to help my son looking at homes in Maine. In that process, I signed up for an account on Zillow. Now Zillow sends me an email of homes on the market in the $20k to $30k range every week.

It is interesting seeing how many homes go on the market for such low prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine