Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:24 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,979 times

Advertisements

To have separate threads for the Portland area in the Bangor area? Just 1.2 million people in the state does it make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:54 PM

428 posts, read 554,970 times
I believe it makes sense not because of the size of population but because of differences in culture between the two cities.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,911,561 times
The Bangor thread hardly gets used. The Portland thread is pretty quiet most of the time too. So probably just a Maine thread would suffice.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The Bangor thread hardly gets used. The Portland thread is pretty quiet most of the time too. So probably just a Maine thread would suffice.
That is the way it seems to me. It seems like an annoyance to have to keep checking at the top of the page to see was going on in Bangor in Portland, which seems like not much.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:59 PM

762 posts, read 1,751,509 times
It's my understanding that sub-forums here are not created in response to the population of any particular areas, but to how often the city or region is mentioned in threads and thread titles. Traffic at any of the forums here is going to have peaks and valleys over time. Look at Vermont - that state has a smaller population than Maine (626,042 according to Wikipedia) and there is a sub-forum for Burlington, probably because it was the topic of discussion more often than any other place in Vermont. There is a forum where requests for sub-forums should go: About the Forum

I would think that many people considering Portland as a place to visit or live would not want to slog through all the posts about other towns. And likewise about Bangor, which is pretty far away from Portland and although I've never been to Bangor, from what people have told me it is very different from Portland. Plus I've seen some Mainers say that if someone has only visited Portland and/or the southern part of the state, they haven't really experienced Maine at all. So I think the sub-forums are useful because of their specificity.

Last edited by citychik; 04-04-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,390,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I believe it makes sense not because of the size of population but because of differences in culture between the two cities.

I think it is this, although if it is there would be a decent need for a caribou or presque isle subforum as well (there have been many posts about these areas). As well, i notice those two forums tend to be used as forums for the larger area surronding those towns every so often (like portland being for all of district 1).

I see what others mean as well about lack of use, usually there is only one or two active threads in each, getting about maybe 3 posts a day at most.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 10,083 times
Why are there no titles and no posts

Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,390,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
It's my understanding that sub-forums here are not created in response to the population of any particular areas, but rather to how often the cities or regions are mentioned in threads and thread titles. Traffic at any of the forums here is going to have peaks and valleys over time.

I would think that many people considering Portland as a place to visit or live would not want to slog through all the posts about other towns. And likewise about Bangor, which is pretty far away from Portland and although I've never been to Bangor, from what people have told me it is very different from Portland. I've seen some Mainers say that if someone has only visited Portland and/or the southern part of the state, they haven't really experienced Maine at all.
Im not a mainer, never have been, but i have visited both (as well as areas up and aroostook), and all three are different in culture.

Good rules of thumb are as follows (individual areas will vary).

The further north, the more rural (check a map)
The further north, the more conservative (google voting results for any maine county, any election)
The further north, the lower cost of living (home costs, food, just about everything)
The further north, the more people (by percentage) who work blue collar (city-data employment statistics)

As well, people north of bangor i have noticed (it has even been used on the citydata forums) tend to refer to anything south of bangor as the south, and usually it is talking about culture/politics/regulations. As someone not living in maine, this heavily confused me at first, but it is how i gained my opinion of my other post on this thread.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,552,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
That is the way it seems to me. It seems like an annoyance to have to keep checking at the top of the page to see was going on in Bangor in Portland, which seems like not much.
I agree. This is a tiny forum. There's so little traffic in the entire forum that we could be away for a week and catch up in a few minutes. If nothing catches my eye from the subforums on the main page I don't bother with it. I think threads would get more traffic if they were in one place.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I agree. This is a tiny forum. There's so little traffic in the entire forum that we could be away for a week and catch up in a few minutes. If nothing catches my eye from the subforums on the main page I don't bother with it. I think threads would get more traffic if they were in one place.
That's pretty much the way I read the subs too. Of course, you and I can remember when the sub-forums were created. The Maine forum was a lot busier then. It seemed like then that we had a lot more diversified opinions being posted than we see now, and most of the people seemed to get along fairly well, in spite of their differences. There were also a lot more active posters visiting the forum every day. We had several people that were active posters until they moved to Maine, and then they quit posting. We had a few others that moved away from Maine and quit posting. Maine Writer and I could probably list 20 members that were once active that no longer post at all.

Maybe the forum will get more active some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine