Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:32 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,781 times

Advertisements

Ok, tell me about frost heave. I've read the term in relation to installation of fence posts (depth) and some funny comments about it in a few threads. So I kind of know what it is, but would like to know more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,419 times
Frost heave is something you experience if you are cruisin around 40 -50 on an old country road and all of a sudden hit a bump that makes you feel as if you are taking off like a space shuttle:
It is particularly fun if you have children in the back seat- they think you planned it all and get very impressed with the flying feeling!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Heck, they are so ubiquitous is NNE that we have a basketball team named after them!
Vermont Frost Heaves

In basic terms, a frost heave occurs when the ground underneath paved roads starts to thaw.
Frost heaving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
A Frost Heaves team! That's funny!

When Kristin was about four I worked in Bangor and took Stillwater Ave from Old Town to Bangor because there was little traffic. Just after the bog in Orono heading toward Bangor there was a dip and bump in the road. One morning it was a little worse than had it been. After I hit it my charming little four year old said, "That was a helluva bump!" The road is better now but we still call it the helluva bump.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,959 times
Default Frost Heaves

They are the best in an older truck at an accellerated speed. YEE HAA!

As teenagers (before you have to pay for the damage to the car) They can be a great form of entertainment.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,227 times
This year seems to be really bad for frost heaves. Driving north on 24 from Bowdoin to Richmond is like navigating the craters of the moon. Or, if you've seen those National Geographic photos of what highways look like after an earthquake, with the asphalt split open and gaping in some places, broken and piled up in others, yeah, that's it.
Now that you mention it, McMar, I think it's a good photo op! Nobody living outside frost heave country would believe it!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM

333 posts, read 873,932 times
Usually the town and state road crews post a little sign about 10' before the BUMP to warn you and then there's the assortment of hub-caps,mufflers and gouges in the road to show you where to land. But it's not just on the roads, my back lawn is a very heavy clay base with the minimum topsoil I've seen rocks as big as watermellons rise up as the frost gets deeper, and as the ground thaws they slowly recede to almost were they started when i mow in the spring I usually find that mother nature has moved them just a tad up

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Oh, so that is why the roads are "bad" up there (to quote some of you guys)? I should have known that wikipedia would have a definition on frost heave, but it's more fun hearing about it from you guys. Plus, wikipedia did not even mention the Vermont Frost Heaves basketball team. I love team names like that. Ever heard of the Macon Whoopie (Macon Georgia's hockey team). I don't think the team was named after your whoopie pies.

So if I build a fence and bury the posts as deep as recommended, am I going to have to rebuild it ever few years due to frost heaving?

Last edited by McMar; 02-19-2008 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: speling, oops I mean spelling

Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post

So if I build a fence and bury the posts as deep as recommended, am I going to have to rebuild it ever few years due to frost heaving?
Depends on how deep you sink the posts. If you get down below the frost line and/or make sure there's good drainage, you'll be OK. We used to dig postholes six inches or so deeper than we needed, then throw in a couple of shovels-full of gravel and a flat rock to rest the post on.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Smart thinking, Coaster. Better to put forth a bit more effort on the front end than have to start the project all over again 5 years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine