Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,552,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
It absolutely does not matter, as long as the people of Maine get to decide the issue ... unless you're saying that a sufficient number of Mainers can be bought with slick advertising.
Yes they can, just like in any other state. Look at the poor, starving, sad-eyed puppy ads. They work even on the most intelligent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,205,393 times
They don't care about the reaction they're going to get. I raised my kids to obey fish and game laws. When they were young, there was a 10 fish limit on brook trout. It's now 5, 2, 1 and "no take" in many areas loaded with trout. FFO while very nice, is an elitist approach to game management. Kids and the elderly can't necessarily swing a flyrod, so only the elitists get to fish certain old fishing holes once they get their way. What I'm saying is that at some point you better hire a few hundred more game wardens, because I haven't been stopped or checked in over 40 years, and if the State is going to keep treading on my consumptive use of wildlife, and charging dearly for it, I will get my money's worth.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,934 times
It kind of reminds you of a bad penny. It just keeps coming back. I thought this was over and done with the last election.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:54 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,247,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It kind of reminds you of a bad penny. It just keeps coming back. I thought this was over and done with the last election.
It's kinda like school budgets that get defeated. They always arise from the dead.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Yeah, I can get behind that. Wife and I always appreciate it when some eighty year old childless person comes to the Town meeting and argues to eliminate education as much as possible for the grandkids. They got rid of the music programs and are now working on athletics. They'd like to bring in creationism in lieu of the "environmental industry's" science teachings. It'd be a lot better if we could just have 99% of the populous uneducated as laborers and they knew their place - serving the 1%. The Oklahoma legislature is working on it.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:47 AM

Yup school budget in the town where wife and I grew up. They HAD to have a spanking new middle school. Did not want to renovate the old building like some wanted. Did not want to put an addition to the high school like some suggested. No, we have to have BRAND NEW. So they pushed and pushed and pushed, just like the little engine that could. And finally pushed through the budget for the new school and everyone's taxes shot up phenomenally. And here, 10 plus years later, like those opposed predicted, the student body has shrunk so much that now there aren't enough students to fill the school. And it is predicted to shrink more. But not to get off topic......

Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Yeah, you're right. All education is bad. America needs worker bees. Since everything is black and white, and there are no gray areas, or acceptable extensions of intellect that allow for the education of the next generation, maybe we should just cut all of it.

On the other hand, you got school districts like Hampden that spent over $60 million on a new high school. There is balance without goose stepping to the party line. There's way more to the backrooms of building new schools, the contractors involved, the architects, the "anything for a buck" crowd who benefits - to the point where if one were completely honest, the real lines of disagreement are blurred beyond recognition.

Last edited by Maineac; 03-02-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM

I don't hate education Maineac but let's be reasonable. You can educate your children just as well in a 100 year old renovated building as you can in a brand spanking new one. If the age of the building mattered that much then Harvard and Yale would be cranking out imbeciles....... Oh wait a minute now, ALL imbeciles, I mean......

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM

Generally, its the voters that decide whether to build new schools. I think Hampden went overboard and will be paying for it for years to come. That kind of thinking, many years ago, worked out for Hermon and the mil rate remains low - that is until you-know-who in his inimitable wisdom eliminates municipal revenue sharing. Clearly, all graduates of Harvard and Yale being "imbeciles", America should simply be cranking out worker bees right? The Bush boys are all Yale men, and I'd have to agree with you on at least one of 'em.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:55 AM

109 posts, read 198,971 times
WTF? I thought this was a bear related topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine