Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,310,390 times

Advertisements

For all you who grew up in Maine, can you remember back to your local library in the late '70s and early '80s? Do you remember if the past issues of local and Maine newspapers were stored on microfiche, or did they just keep old editions of the papers themselves? Anyone remember?

I didn't grow up in Maine, and our local library had microfiche, but we were a college town, which made things a bit unusual. Anyone know if local smalltown public libraries had microfiche or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
They could read microfiche, but not make them in Bucksport in the 70s. Same in Lincoln in the early 80s. We are still headed upstream. I can now step across the brook.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,959,477 times
I highly doubt the Peavey library in Eastport has microfiche but the Quoddy Tides building on Water St has bound volumes of old editions of the Quoddy Tides going back several years.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 AM

642 posts, read 1,257,386 times
The Ellsworth Public Library has both bound volumes and microfilm of our newspaper, The Ellsworth American, back to 1851 (entire collection). Both supplied by us. We also have both in our library. The public library now has a microfilm reader with a photocopier which saves a lot of wear on the bound volumes, some of which are in rough shape. We used to supply the Hancock County Court House with bound volumes until storage became an issue.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 AM

Thanks, everyone! So all these libraries that have microfilm ... did you have them back in the early '80s? Anyone remember?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,262,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
For all you who grew up in Maine, can you remember back to your local library in the late '70s and early '80s? Do you remember if the past issues of local and Maine newspapers were stored on microfiche, or did they just keep old editions of the papers themselves? Anyone remember?

I didn't grow up in Maine, and our local library had microfiche, but we were a college town, which made things a bit unusual. Anyone know if local smalltown public libraries had microfiche or not?
Without stated intentions, you might not be aware that many libraries have put all the fische on-line for newspapers dating back to the 1800s. check local libraries for availablity. It is free. Many private sites also but they require a registration fee.

Here for instance is Lewiston, Me, though I have not checked into this site, it appears in the same format as other municipal provided free newspaper archive sites.

Lewiston Newspaper Archives Online | All Things Maine

Usually the search engines leave much to be desired but in my case I discovered some stunning family secrets not even the oldest in my family knew.

So if indeed you are looking for something in the archives as your intent, it may be a couple of keyboard clicks away.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:55 AM

642 posts, read 1,257,386 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone! So all these libraries that have microfilm ... did you have them back in the early '80s? Anyone remember?
When I came to work at the paper in 1978 we had a microfilm reader. The library got one a few years later.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 AM

Excellent. Thanks, everyone!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:

if i remember correctly , the maine state library is near the capitol in augusta next to the state museum
i remember looking at microfilm in the 80's

you can call the state library in augusta, maybe they have archives online

small town library?? dont think so,
but you can start with the state library first,, and ask them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine