Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses and there's a cute one on Atlantic Hwy in Northport. Showed it to a friend that says it's going to be insanely packed with traffic 24/7. I disagree. I took US 1 from Key West to north Maine (Machias maybe?) in 2001 and yes, there was traffic, but it wasn't packed. I did the Google street view and followed it quite a while and there was little traffic showing on that too. Anyone have opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,553,968 times
It will tend to be busier during the heavy tourist season - say from May to late August, and then again for fall foliage season. It tends to be fast traffic too. We were down that way a week ago Friday to go to an open garden day in Northport. The traffic was NOT packed - just moving along at a good pace. I would prefer to live just off that road.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
the worst two months are july/august, for traffic

and that is nowhere near 24/7

the locals always seem to know how to get around these roads, when they are busy

Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 AM

506 posts, read 684,776 times
North of Camden is not too bad.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
Thanks all. House in Northport sold. Someone is very lucky and got a great deal on a really adorable house! I think we've moved our plans back to a two year goal of moving. Still spend most days drooling over listings on RDC. Have looked at both older homes as well as land, wondering if we'd maybe build. There is such amazing land there!! You're all so lucky! I can't wait to get out of the south and be a Mainer.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Looking at houses and there's a cute one on Atlantic Hwy in Northport. Showed it to a friend that says it's going to be insanely packed with traffic 24/7. I disagree. I took US 1 from Key West to north Maine (Machias maybe?) in 2001 and yes, there was traffic, but it wasn't packed. I did the Google street view and followed it quite a while and there was little traffic showing on that too. Anyone have opinions?
We used to travel this route quite often when we vacationed in Camden and Rockland. It is a very beautiful area. AS far as traffic, the highway is definitely not packed. There is traffic, but I would call it light to moderate. Unfortunately, many of the businesses along that section of route 1 (west of Belfast) have closed due, I assume, to a decrease in traffic over the years. I think most of the traffic coming from eastern Maine and the Canadian Maritimes use route 9, which is a direct route to Bangor and I-95.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine