Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times

Advertisements

Just what I need. The wettest kind of snow that can still actually be solid and not liquid. Snowblower won't blow it since its not a snow lifter. Ground is still wet and mushy and not frozen, so the snow blower bogs into the ground. So at age 62 I have to shovel it.

And.... now my roof has 10 inches of snow on it making it rather difficult for the chimney guy to reline the chimney, and rather difficult for me to get a 400lb woodstove 100 feet up my driveway to the house. For this condition I need a front loader.

I guess I need to spring for a snow rake, so I can get enough off the roof to get the chimney guy up on the roof. Another job for Thanksgiving day, except that the stores are closed on Thanksgiving.

UGH!

Last edited by Zarathu; 11-23-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Stop complaining about the snowy Bar Harbor/Maine utopia.....or are you hoping someone will offer to give you a hand with the wood stove? You are the one who is apparently unprepared for the wet snow. Maybe the snow will melt before another storm hits and you can get things done that should have been done before the time of year of a potential snow storm. You wanna be careful about overexerting yourself--every year I hear about someone who slips on a snowy or icy roof or has a heart attack while shoveling snow. After all, your retirement era is just beginning.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Un-prepared? Not me! My middle name is prepared!

I actually love snow ancd it was so beautiful on the ocean on my ride into BH about 30 minutes ago.

But.... we had hoped that snow would hold off until the chimney guy got here on Monday. So I got up on the flat roof and shoveled the snow off. Bought a roof rake at the True value. So Tomorrow morning when its sunny we'll rake the snow off the upper roof so the chimney guy can get up there on Monday.

We were hoping that it would easier when the tractor trailer arrives Friday with the 400 stove, but we'll just have to put chains on the Van. With them on it, I've run it up hill and through 10 inches of snow down my long driveway in the woods in a property I used to own.

I think everyone is un-prepared for really really wet snow. Even if I knew it was going to be 10 inches of really wet I wouldn't have don't anything different than my preps.

It just takes more time and energy to deal with it. Actually I have access to some COA kids who would love to have me pay them to help carry the stove into the house. You can put 2 4 x 6's under it and carry it like a king and bearers.

I actually have a solution to everything.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
Hey, we didn't get nearly that....only around 5 inches here. I still have a cord and a half to get in but this is supposed to be gone by saturday! I was hoping it would help in my deer hunting this a.m. but still no luck......it sure is pretty tho!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Hey, we didn't get nearly that....only around 5 inches here. I still have a cord and a half to get in but this is supposed to be gone by saturday! I was hoping it would help in my deer hunting this a.m. but still no luck......it sure is pretty tho!
10 inches on Norway Drive south of Salisbury Cove. 2 inches in the village of BH and along the ocean. 15 inches in Town Hill, and in Trenton according the clerk in the True Value in BH, who was very worried about driving home there.

I don't think our 10 inches is going to be gone by Saturday. I'm eworking hard on my winter preps but I've only been here for about 9 days. With everything else I think I'm doing pretty well, actually.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
4 to 5 inches here, dry powder.

Very light weight.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
11 inches of powder here on the Trans Maine Trail.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
I've lived in this state for nearly my entire life.

Trust me when I say that you must be prepared for wet snow because when you least expect it, you'll get it. During some storms, it'll change from heavy to light hourly.

Well, maybe not so much in February if we have -40 degree weather with a 'light' wind chill factor. Hopefully you won't be blessed with such a delightful winter on your first winter here.

We were able to build a snow fort today. It was just on the cusp of being wet and sticky enough to make nearly perfect blocks We had to fortify with a spray bottle of warm water as we built, but it worked.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 PM

276 posts, read 848,712 times
I'm thinking a little over 6 inches here, not heavy wet snow but still a bit heavy and I always have to shovel my driveway, holds 2 cars wide and about 3 back, it drifts aweful, but at least it held off this long and will be gone by the weekend hopefully.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 PM

151 posts, read 199,193 times
Thank you Maine for the 25cm. of wet snow, being a Saskatchewan prairie boy now residing in the Maritimes I don't know what WET snow is, sort of like porridge to shovel (by the way it's 10 inches)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine