Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,927,851 times

Advertisements

If you take the Globe, before you throw out this Sunday's (7/13) edition, you might want to check out a feature article on the front page of the City & Region section (I think it's section B), or you might want to borrow a copy. The story's headline reads "Swing and a high fly ball . . . " It's about how the sound of Sox games on the radio is part of the fabric of summertime life across New England. Nice read.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 32,839 times
I was up in Caribou during the week of Independence Day and I remember thinking, why is it that the Red Sox are so popular up here, even? Caribou is in the Boston extended market, and gets NESN (and Boston-area car dealership commercials), so if you can have Major League Baseball all season - that's as close to the Red Sox as most everyone else in New England get.

Take the question a little bit further, and apply it to the Toronto Blue Jays - the only Canadian Major League team. On the way up to Caribou, between Medway and Island Falls, I was able to listen to a Toronto Blue Jays affiliate FM station from Saint John, New Brunswick, 911 miles from Toronto. In fact, the Blue Jays radio network reaches the entire country, whereas the furthest radio affiliate for the Red Sox is in Houlton.

Just like in Field of Dreams: If you build it, they will come. Let's tweak that a little bit to say, if you show it, they will watch. Something like that.

As for me, I've lived in York my whole live, and that's only 60 miles from Boston. Sure, it's the southern tip of the state, but I'm far enough into Maine to not get New Hampshire news on TV. That's another story for another time. Maine news, Boston news, but no New Hampshire news.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,111,905 times
hey ogre....

Red Sox tie major league*sellout streak at 455 - MLB - SI.com (broken link)

Now that's pretty sweet!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM

So now it's national news! Nice article. Now, I've just heard tonight that the all-time pro sports streak is 800 and some games, by the Portland Trailblazers. Not the first team that would come to mind, although given that the 'Blazers are the only major league sports team the "other" Portland has, maybe that team gets all their focus. Hey, I'll take the MLB record for now. You think those Sox are popular up here in the northeast corner or what?

Now, as for the team these sellout crowds are watching this year, I've been blown away by how strong and deep the lineup and bench have been this year. It's as if they really don't have a lineup and bench, but one extended lineup, with interchangeable parts that allow them to adjust to each game's situation, with the lineup being just as strong no matter which version is on the field on a given night.

It's unfortunate that the middle relief has been shaky, because in all other respects this is one very, very strong team. I mean, geez, look at how many of their regulars are on the dl right now, yet they're one of the hottest teams with their performance on the field. The "second string" is still one of the top few teams in baseball. Now, if only there were about three or four really solid middle relievers out there, whose teams found such solid pitchers expendable, so they were willing to put them on waivers, the Sox could pick them up and be a lock for another title. As things stand with the middle relief corps they have now, though, I dunno. Too bad too, because, barring a miracle, it will be a shame to see all the talent they have in other respects go to waste.

Nice the way the fans are supporting them like crazy, though. And again, nice article. Thanks for posting that, Molly.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 PM

So . . . on Monday they broke the sellout record. Interesting, and nice, to see how the passion for that team has grown and grown over the years.

Tonight's game . . . @&%^*#!!!!! What's especially frustrating is that I can't even know for sure that the Sox were robbed. It's slipping my mind who was the potential winning run on second in the ninth when Ellsbury was called for the third out at first when he actually easily beat the throw, but all that an infield hit would have done would have been to move the runner to third. We can never know for sure whether the third out would have been made before he would have scored. If there had been a runner on third who had gone home on that play, then I could feel righteously robbed. But feeling robbed and not even knowing whether I can rightfully feel that way?
GRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 AM

I had a long day yesterday, and was sound asleep by 10, so I didn't even make it close to seeing all 14 innings of that game. I haven't yet played anything back yet so I'm not sure about what happened in the 9th, but I'm so glad to see them rally! I think we're going to have some good games coming up, these guys want to be in the post season!!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Ninth inning: I'm still not recalling who it was, but whoever, they had a man on second, with two out. Ellsbury hit a grounder, and was called out. Even watching in real time it looked pretty clear that he had beaten the throw, and the replay showed that he had beaten it easily. It wasn't a question of whether the first baseman had control of the ball or anything like that. There was a good six, seven, eight inches of air, maybe more than that, between the ball and the first baseman's mitt at the point where Ellsbury's foot was firmly planted flat on the bag. It was a BAAAAD call. So, I was doubly frustrated after they ended up losing the game in extra innings, because I couldn't even indulge myself with some righteous P.O.edness over the idea that the Sox were robbed of the game, since I had to keep reminding myself that a man on second would have gotten only as far as third on an infield hit, and with two outs there would have been no guarantee that they would have plated him. Now, if there had been a runner on third, who would have scored had the ump's call been correct, I could have rightfully done some proper venting! As it was, I had the frustration of the loss on top of the consternation over knowing I could not honestly feel certain that the Sox were robbed of the game, only that they might have been.

Anyway, yes, good to see them hang in to the end. The current ownership seems to have some real class, and they generally have put together teams with players who are real professionals. They are an appealing bunch.

Hey, and no matter where the Sox ultimately end up, there's already one good outcome to this season that is now appearing to be all but certain: MFY won't make the playoffs! Yeah!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 AM

43 posts, read 89,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishwrong View Post
I was up in Caribou during the week of Independence Day and I remember thinking, why is it that the Red Sox are so popular up here, even? Caribou is in the Boston extended market, and gets NESN (and Boston-area car dealership commercials), so if you can have Major League Baseball all season - that's as close to the Red Sox as most everyone else in New England get.

Take the question a little bit further, and apply it to the Toronto Blue Jays - the only Canadian Major League team. On the way up to Caribou, between Medway and Island Falls, I was able to listen to a Toronto Blue Jays affiliate FM station from Saint John, New Brunswick, 911 miles from Toronto. In fact, the Blue Jays radio network reaches the entire country, whereas the furthest radio affiliate for the Red Sox is in Houlton.

Just like in Field of Dreams: If you build it, they will come. Let's tweak that a little bit to say, if you show it, they will watch. Something like that.

As for me, I've lived in York my whole live, and that's only 60 miles from Boston. Sure, it's the southern tip of the state, but I'm far enough into Maine to not get New Hampshire news on TV. That's another story for another time. Maine news, Boston news, but no New Hampshire news.
I grew up in a little town called Frenchville wayyyyy up north near Madawaska. That was a long long time ago way before there was ever a station call NESN or that we even had cable for that matter. Back then we had 3 channels to choose from. PBN, Wagm, and CBC (Canada). I've been a Sox fan all my life even without all the viewing luxuries of today.

If you live in New England you love the Sox and MUST hate the Yanks. lololol

Old 09-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
....Hey, and no matter where the Sox ultimately end up, there's already one good outcome to this season that is now appearing to be all but certain: MFY won't make the playoffs! Yeah!
THAT makes the season for me!! My Uncle is a die hard MFY fan, and that was fine while he was in the Bronx, but now having returned to his hometown of Eastport he takes a lot of ribbing Well-deserved I might add! I still love him, but geez, it's hard to hug someone all decked out in their MFY gear

Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 89,628 times
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys!! Yankees go home!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine