Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM

164 posts, read 240,846 times

Advertisements

Forest,
I am sad to hear about your dogs.
I do hope they turn up unharmed, and back where they belong.
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Unfortunately, on my walks, those dogs do NOT stay in their yard. I've had several run out after us, (myself and the dogs), when we were not in their yard. It's to the point that I no longer walk my dogs because of it. Either I or my dogs will get hurt or I'm going to kill someone elses dog when it attacks us.
Had you mentioned that detail, my reply would have fit the situation. You can call the ACO before it escalates to killing someone's dog. There's no excuse for them to be off private property. An air horn should draw owner's attention. These do sound like dogs that could be stolen.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
In the Bangor Daily: Nearly 20 animals missing as dogfighting probe continues — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
If there is a dog fighting ring, I hope they find it soon.

Sorry, but anyone who would get their jollys watching two animals tear each other to shreds, is a special kind of sick in the head in my book.

To me, they are pretty much capable of anything inherently evil.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times
Quote:
The article states that dogs are being stolen out of people's yards around the Woodstock, Sumner, West Paris and Hartford areas. Authorities are suspicious if they are being used for dog fighting.

Walking my own dogs around the neighborhood, I see a ton of dogs in yards without fences, leashes, any type of restraint that can easily leave their yard or someone can easily go in and take them.

Anyway, for those of you in the Paris and Sumner area, if you have dogs, keep an eye on them.

Article: Stolen dogs, gunfire raise suspicion of dog-fighting ring | Sun Journal
I wonder if the dogs are being stolen for food?

Economy is bad and people are homeless.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,497,078 times
ditto reloop

Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,764 times
First of all, there are some in Maine of the "I'll chain muh dawg to a dawg-house" mentality. Why these people own dogs I can't understand. But, they do and these dogs are easy to steal. The wireless fences don't keep YOUR dog from being dragged over it. Generally I think it's a poor idea to leave your dogs outside unattended unless you have a six foot high fence, and never if you aren't home or after dark.

The solution might be to post a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the leaders of this ring. My guess is that the low-life involved in this activity, or watching it, would be pretty easy to tempt.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
If there is a dog fighting ring, I hope they find it soon.

Sorry, but anyone who would get their jollys watching two animals tear each other to shreds, is a special kind of sick in the head in my book.

To me, they are pretty much capable of anything inherently evil.
Sadly there does exist sickness on this planet.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:07 PM

30,314 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
First of all, there are some in Maine of the "I'll chain muh dawg to a dawg-house" mentality. Why these people own dogs I can't understand. But, they do and these dogs are easy to steal. The wireless fences don't keep YOUR dog from being dragged over it. Generally I think it's a poor idea to leave your dogs outside unattended unless you have a six foot high fence, and never if you aren't home or after dark.

The solution might be to post a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the leaders of this ring. My guess is that the low-life involved in this activity, or watching it, would be pretty easy to tempt.
Everything you said, I completely agree with.

I also agree that there is a special place in hell for people who enjoy watching animals tear each other apart and take innocent family pets to use as bait.

In fact, I just have to stop there because if I truly express how I feel, I'll get banned.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, on my walks, those dogs do NOT stay in their yard. I've had several run out after us, (myself and the dogs), when we were not in their yard. It's to the point that I no longer walk my dogs because of it. Either I or my dogs will get hurt or I'm going to kill someone elses dog when it attacks us.

And no, no humans to be seen. They may be in the house but that doesn't help me if their dog comes charging down on me and my dogs, pushing us in to the street where traffic is going. (That actually happened.) While some dogs may be trained to STAY in the yard and guard that yard, the dogs around here do not. And I can bet that there are many more that do not.

In any case, I believe this article stated that the dog in question WAS on a leash. I was merely pointing out how often I see dogs here in the yard with no leash, no fence, no human in the yard with them, nothing. Throw a steak at 'em, hook 'em around the neck and toss 'em in the van. Your dog is gone.
People need to control their dogs.

If they don't, then they shouldn't complain when someone is forced to defend their property and pets.

Here's a case where a farmer shot a dog when it got into his chicken coop: No animal cruelty charges*in dog-shooting case — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

I don't blame the farmer one bit. And what he did was legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine