Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM

513 posts, read 897,353 times

Advertisements

This morning it was -12 when I looked at our outside therm. brrr , I'm in the greater Portland area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times
10 below zero (F) this morning here on the banks of the Kennebec. Got all the way up to + 4 by noon.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 PM

393 posts, read 982,387 times
Last night we had -13. I'm in the White Mts near Lovell. Yesterday we spent the day at the Musher's Bowl in Bridgton watching the dogsled and skijoring races, and then we went dogsledding! It hovered between 6 - 11 degrees daytime. This is our first winter here in Maine, and we are LOVING it!!!!! (and we're not young, either!) As I told my friends from away, the difference between winter there and here is that Mainers CELEBRATE winter. There is so much to do, if you enjoy the outdoors. In fact, the only season I'm really dreading is spring, due to all the bugs.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Is it -9/10C or farenheight?

We had a freezing period with those temps here in england in December but since then it has warmed up. Just keep warm, put a few blankets by front/back doors where the cold comes in like the bottom on the door ect. Worked well for us.
You won't find many leaky doors in Maine. People can't afford to let that much cold air in. We tend to put weather stripping around doors, plastic around windows (if you have older ones), Hay or plastic or a combination of both around the foundation (called banking). Some put quilted fabric over their windows. If we have a leaky door sill we use a lengthwise rolled up towel tied on the ends or a snake-like form filled with small beads, sawdust, shavings, felt or what-have-you called a draft dodger (no doubt named after former President Bill Clinton!)

Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
If we have a leaky door sill we use a lengthwise rolled up towel tied on the ends or a snake-like form filled with small beads, sawdust, shavings, felt or what-have-you called a draft dodger (no doubt named after former President Bill Clinton!)
We always called it a door snake.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM

97 posts, read 220,347 times
Well good thing you folks didn't have an ICE storm to go with those temps
Out west, our cold snap was before and after Xmas. Down to -18 one mornin. Coldest I've ever been in was -27, and yes, the water froze up tight for the rest of that winter
57 degrees is about our average for sleeping at nite...kinda makes you appreciate your spouse But, 30 minutes with the woodstove and we're down to the skivvies.
Still, it beats sitting in traffic jams in Florida, right?
Stay warm, spring is on it's way.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
10 below here last night (Freeport) according to my thermometer. Not quite the 13 below they predicted but still plenty cold. The "winter refrigerator"(our breezeway) where we keep drinks,pies,etc. has become the "winter freezer" and we've had to move the stuff to the cellar.
The snow cover around the house is helping to cut the drafts and makes the house feel warmer. Be safe out there. Frostbite happens quickly in this kind of weather. Check on the elderly and infirmed and make sure their heat is working.
This is the time of year the "heat haters" who want to move to Maine to escape the oppressive heat should plan a visit. I'd take 90 degrees outside and an air conditioner running anyday over a gallon of fuel oil per hour being burned to keep it comfortable enough for a sweater in the house!!
Maineah, I got a couple of extra rooms. Come down here last of July, begining of August. We'll do some work in the garden and split some wood! I have been in Maine in the winter for extended periods. It is very cold, but if one dresses properly it is nicer than let's say Iceland! I think it's in our nature to complain about the weather where we live and think it's better elsewhere. I was skyping to one of my 'ol college buddy's in Australia last night, and he is in flooding all over the place around him. I kept thinking,"at least it's summer there" hahaha. That being said, it's gonna be 50 Friday here, I think I'll try and kick over my '47 Indian Chief and go for a ride! My heart goes out to people who can't afford to be warm though. Hopefully there are shelters for them to go to.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
We always called it a door snake.
You could use a snow snake but they would smell after a few days.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Maineah, I got a couple of extra rooms. Come down here last of July, begining of August. We'll do some work in the garden and split some wood! I have been in Maine in the winter for extended periods. It is very cold, but if one dresses properly it is nicer than let's say Iceland! I think it's in our nature to complain about the weather where we live and think it's better elsewhere. I was skyping to one of my 'ol college buddy's in Australia last night, and he is in flooding all over the place around him. I kept thinking,"at least it's summer there" hahaha. That being said, it's gonna be 50 Friday here, I think I'll try and kick over my '47 Indian Chief and go for a ride! My heart goes out to people who can't afford to be warm though. Hopefully there are shelters for them to go to.
-4 here this morning....I hear ya! It gets plenty warm here in July and August too. Maybe not Florida hot but we get days in the high 90's and the humidity hangs in there as 80% or better. It does go away after a few weeks unlike Florida! I'll have to say that living here all my life, doing winter activities, I'm still not a big fan of winter. I don't look forward to it and I'm glad when it's gone. Yes I like snomobile riding, ice fishing, smelting, and that stuff but I wouldn't miss it that much if it didn't happen. Back around 2004 or 2005 I think it was we had a couple of virtually snowless/iceless winters. The rivers never froze and we had no snow to speak of. I was happy as a clam. I didn't plow but once and could drive down into the woods all winter . I never even fired up the snow machines at all those two winters. I figured if that was a taste of Global Warming I was ready for it.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Take maximum advantage of what you have. In a dry summer, work in areas that are normally wet without disturbing the ground. In a wet summer, paddle some streams you can't paddle every year. Mainah covered the snowless winters. We may be into a normal one this year. Take bragging photos and Christmas card photos for those years when you can't. It's just a month past Christmas right now and we are less than half way into winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine