Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM

12 posts, read 29,080 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from Southern California to Maine, but would like to investigate first and make sure it will be suitable for our family, so hopefully you can help me out with some q's.
im originally from Australia so i like the laid back lifestyle, we would love a nice old house with a couple of acres for the kids, we want our kids brought up loving outdoors, nature etc, instead of hooked on video games.
from what photos i have seen Maine looks lovely specially in fall/winter.

my husband works from home so employment isn't an issue, are there lots of museums etc to visit? what things are there for kids to do? any big festivals etc

what part of the state would be the best to raise a fam, like i said i like laid back relaxed lifestyle. TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Maine has several very different regions. Overall, southern Maine has more people and is closer to Boston. The coast is more expensive and has a lot of people from May to Oct.
Western, northern and eastern Maine are more rural and traditional.
Hope that helps!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 29,080 times
Thanks, we are looking for more of a rural lifestyle, i was brought up on a farm and had a great life, really want that for our kids!! would Bangor be suitable? definitely looking for farm, traditional. i think we are going to head for a vacation soon just to get a feel for it, Thanks for the info!!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,564 times
If you like small town rural life, check out Bethel, Maine.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,251,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDi View Post
Thanks, we are looking for more of a rural lifestyle, i was brought up on a farm and had a great life, really want that for our kids!! would Bangor be suitable? definitely looking for farm, traditional. i think we are going to head for a vacation soon just to get a feel for it, Thanks for the info!!
The Bangor area would work, yes. Just remember that there aren't a whole lot of museums.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
We live in the Bangor area and I would love to raise kids here (Mine were raised off-grid, in a community in Eastern WA and are busy producing grandbabies now.)

We have a wonderful and fun museum (Maine Discovery Museum) for whom I recently painted a bin for their fund raising auction, but most of the fun for kids is the out of doors variety...

There are 4H clubs and the like, but my friends kids do a lot of the regular old fashioned stuff.. building forts in the woods, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Bangor is a great city to be within commuting distance from.

Raising children here will be more about fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, kayaking, and perhaps gardening; then it would be about museum visits.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Maine.gov: Travel & Recreation: Museums (http://www.maine.gov/portal/travel/museums.html - broken link)

scroll down the page a bit for a list of museums in maine

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
We live in the Bangor area and I would love to raise kids here (Mine were raised off-grid, in a community in Eastern WA and are busy producing grandbabies now.)

We have a wonderful and fun museum (Maine Discovery Museum) for whom I recently painted a bin for their fund raising auction, but most of the fun for kids is the out of doors variety...

There are 4H clubs and the like, but my friends kids do a lot of the regular old fashioned stuff.. building forts in the woods, etc.
Definitely agree. There's also Hermon Mountain that kids really enjoy in the winter. It's no Matterhorn by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a lot of fun for kids IMO.

Greater Bangor Ski Area; the New Hermon Mountain

There are many kid-friendly attractions around the state. The schools are good, and most areas are very community-oriented.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Definitely agree. There's also Hermon Mountain that kids really enjoy in the winter. It's no Matterhorn by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a lot of fun for kids IMO.

Greater Bangor Ski Area; the New Hermon Mountain

There are many kid-friendly attractions around the state. The schools are good, and most areas are very community-oriented.
Actually the Matterhorn is not all that great. Having both Zermatt and Cervinia to ski down into is nice; but Cervinia's only draw is the Irish pub, and Zermatt's is the flower schnapps.

Many of the ski resorts through-out Austria are much better

Maine has Baker, Big Rock, Black hill, Camden, Eaton, Hermon, Lonesome pine, Lost Valley, Abram, Jefferson, Powderhouse, Quoggy, Saddleback, Shawnee, Spruce hill, Sugar loaf, Sunday River, and Titcomb hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine