Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 AM

92 posts, read 468,435 times

Advertisements

Not sue of the spelling, but does anyone know much about the Kisatchie Nat'l forest near Pineville/Alexandria? What all is there to do there? Horseback riding? hunting? canoeing? Is it a great place to visit? Where would be the nearest whitewater rafting area? What do people around this area do for recreation/amusement/entertainment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 AM

283 posts, read 1,282,531 times
It's HUGE - 600,000 acres . . these sites may help your get some info . . .
Kisatchie National Forest - Maps Home Page
Kisatchie National Forest Campgrounds
Kisatchie National Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kisatchie National Forest

Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

264 posts, read 1,152,410 times
Its a really nice place when I passed through- I'd imagine there would be some canoeing or rafting on that river running through there.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:53 AM

25 posts, read 186,532 times
OK, I will weigh in on this area. I grew up there and my family still lives in the area.

Kisatchie is actually 5 seperate areas. Mostly semi remote campgrounds. Almost no commercial recreational facilities. You won't find any whitewater anywhere in Louisiana. A few minor rapids, but nothing to write home about. Nearest whitewater is Arkansas or Texas.

This is a great place for hunting, camping, hiking, horseback. Not good for offroading. Some do it, but there is so much logging in the area, it is hard to find good places. And a good deal of the areas are off limits to motorized vehicles.

There is a small wildernesss area in Kisatchie Ranger District. No vehicular traffic of any kind. Really great place to see. There are 7 or 8 different geological areas within the wilderness area. There are places there that look like Montana.

A great place, but you are on your own for equipment or horses. I think there are couple of places that rent canoes, but it is just drifting down a creek or bayou.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM

92 posts, read 468,435 times
Default ways to get around in the forest?

You are on your own for horses? No one rents them for the day nearby? What about getting around on a John Deere mule type vehicle? Is that considered off-road?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 PM

25 posts, read 186,532 times
You can get to most places in the forest by vehicle. LOTS of roads crisscross these areas because of logging. The areas that are off limits to motorized vehicles are mostly during the hunting seasons. The mule you mentioned will get you anywhere on the logging roads when they are open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana