Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 PM

206 posts, read 529,468 times

Advertisements

Let me throw my tissue away! That was a very inspirational story, it gave me a whole new outlook and surely inspired me and should inspire anyone who read it. That's just what i needed to hear right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 12:58 AM

102 posts, read 333,248 times
Before I left Dallas I heard quite a few stories on the local news, for example a school teacher that got recertified to teach in Dallas and was making double the salary so she was able to afford a house, another woman that had worked in the French quarter as a waitress for 10 years was able to get a loan from the SBA and open her own bistro that was doing quite well.. The one that really stands out in memory was the couple that were rasing their relatives six kids before the storm and both had to work two jobs to make ends meet. A group donated them a house, mortgage free, and they were able to find jobs that paid enough until they only had to work one job each and could spend more time with the children. I remember that one because at the end the 5 year old said, "The storm was bad but now Uncle John can read me stories at night so I'm happy." It was like a hallmark commercial.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 AM

161 posts, read 418,555 times
we are on the beach here in mississippi and got hit very hard and inland also.
not as much was about us on the media as new orleans
,so many people didnt know how hard we got hit..
it is being rebuilt tho- and even has higher condos and bridges.
.it will look like much of florida i think now , with the pastel colors.
i pray we dont have anymore like katrina.
ive been in them all starting with Camille, and we thought that was the worst!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:52 AM

212 posts, read 573,497 times
i guess you can call me a evacuee, but i was a new orleans fire fighter,, that work through the hurricane. i moved to ft worth with my whole family in january 06. life has been very good since i moved here, so good that i have not been back to the n.o. but three times , and that was because i had to bulldoze one home and the other is getting rebuilt back to rent out. in new orleans i owned two homes and the rest of my family owned homes in new orleans east ,the bullard area so we were not poor. now my family which consist of my mom, grandmother,four aunts , three cousins owns new big homes in ft worth and dallas.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,378 times
Default Happy in Portland

We were fortunate enough...We had already been planning to move to Oregon in 2010. While we were waiting to be rescued, my husband said let's just go on
to Oregon if we can. I asked @ the Ford Center in Beaumont, TX, explained we wanted Oregon & DONT want to return, so american airlines & Red Cross got us
here!
The people of Portland, OR have been good to us.
I'm even starting to feel like THIS is home now.
I met my husband in NOLA, so I wouldn't trade that for
the World, but to go back? Not even a consideration.
Poor for our physical AND mental health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana