Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,046 times

Advertisements

My mother was born there in Lake Charles.

How is that area now?

Was it greatly effected by Katrina?

Anybody know any "Scotts" (my grandfather, African-American)

or "Daigles" (my grandmother, native American)

there in Lake Charles?

Moderator cut: Please post requests for information on individuals in the People Search forum and not the state forums - thanks.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-31-2007 at 03:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 03:45 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
My mother was born there in Lake Charles.

How is that area now?

Was it greatly effected by Katrina?

Anybody know any "Scotts" (my grandfather, African-American)

or "Daigles" (my grandmother, native American)

there in Lake Charles?
Actually, Rita was the hurricane which slammed into Lake Charles.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:31 AM

Really?

I've never heard of Hurricane Rita.

Did it do much damage?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Really?

I've never heard of Hurricane Rita.

Did it do much damage?
Hurricane Rita came about a month after Katrina, slammed into SW Louisiana and SE Texas (and briefly threatened Houston) and did a significant amount of damage.

If you don't mind my asking, what part of the country are you from ? This storm was well publicized.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM

New York

I suppose so much was going on with Katrina, I didn't hear or didn't remember.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
New York

I suppose so much was going on with Katrina, I didn't hear or didn't remember.
Gotcha. Anyway, it very nearly came a Category 5 storm and was aimed at Houston.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
Rita was big news, but I can imagine people outside Louisiana/Texas not hearing much about it in the shadows of Katrina.

We even had bad remnants of Rita way up here in Shreveport... torrential rainfall, damaging winds, hail, etc. It was a HUGE storm to still have that much strength this far north. It was still a tropical storm when it passed through way up here.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Rita was so quick after Katrina that I can see how the two are one of the same in other areas of the country. But don't tell that to people in southwest Louisiana. Rita was their Katrina.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Rita was so quick after Katrina that I can see how the two are one of the same in other areas of the country. But don't tell that to people in southwest Louisiana. Rita was their Katrina.
Not to mention there was considerable resentment from folks in SW La who felt they were ignored. And the thing was, they were ignored because, by and large, they didn't demand help as much as the Orlenians did.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Default Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Not to mention there was considerable resentment from folks in SW La who felt they were ignored. And the thing was, they were ignored because, by and large, they didn't demand help as much as the Orlenians did.
That's exactly how the gulf coast of MS felt about Katrina and all the attention and help New Orleans got.
That's not to say that the Gulf Coast didn't receive much needed help, but if you say Katrina anywhere else in the country, their response is always concerning NOLA, because that's mostly what they saw on television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana