Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 AM

313 posts, read 1,149,139 times

Advertisements

I have been the greater area LA burbs for about 4 yrs....tucked down in a coveted pocket called Oak park. Being from the south....the worst weather/natural disaster type things we are accustomed to are thunderstorms with tornadic activity, flooding, snaps of cold weather freezing, and an occasional hurricane that comes inland ( flooding and torrential rain).

I would take any of those things over the wildfire season in southern CA. The few yrs I have seen some massive wildfires, thanks to the 24 hr coverage from the local media....the closest ones to us are usually moorpark/malibu those areas. I know right before we moved out here there was one in OP....I remember seeing the burned areas left from that fire. I dont really worry too much about OP, because they tend to stay on top of keeping the brush trimmed down and there are alot of irrigation systems that border the natural areas, and we have 3 firestations within a 5 mile radius. When small fires start, they are johnny-on-the-spot getting them out.

My husband and I are looking to move out of the area....hasnt been a good fit for us. We are considering Moorpark and maybe even Santa Clarita....all this information sifting of the areas is overwhelming....but how concerned should prospective buyers be when considering Moorpark or Canyon country, given the frequency of the past wildfires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
but how concerned should prospective buyers be when considering Moorpark or Canyon country, given the frequency of the past wildfires?
Depends on location within those communities. Obviously, being the homeowner downwind of open space brush is more vulnerable than someone three miles from brush.

If you are considering a couple of neighborhoods, consider contacting an insurance agent who (I think) has access to databases which would should what streets/neighborhoods are at risk. Insurance companies are bound to know this stuff and naturally your location would affect your rates.

The LA Times just addressed this and provided a map showing favored spots for Santa Ana winds (for some reason the graphic is missing here???)

Hot, dry Santa Anas a particular threat in some Southern California areas - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 AM

definitely a good idea...my husband works in the industry( commercial, not homeowners)...we will be sure to check that out if we become serious in any one of those areas.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
If the specter of potential wildland fires scares you, I certainly wouldn't live in any of the places you mentioned. (Oak Park, Moorpark, Santa Clarita, Canyon Country) Especially the last two.

Although it is definitely safer to live away from the urban/wildland interface, in certain areas that offset can be negated by the howling strength of the winds blowing burning objects before them, and one of those places is the mouth of Soledad Canyon (Santa Clarita, Canyon Country).

Another one is Fontana, where I live... but anyway...

Old 04-03-2010, 10:16 AM

yes, the prospect of a raging fire of major proportions fueled by nature's un relentless wind gusts....is unsettling. If your family gets out, a blessing, afterall it is just stuff right? expensive stuff...ie...real estate.

At least in a tornado you can seek respite, because you know it's coming. The fires...well, you are solely dependant on the firemen getting you out ahead of time...unless you choose to do so on your own. Kinda hard to do when you are asleep in the middle of the night and one of those things, just crops up. Just devastating.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
At least in a tornado you can seek respite, because you know it's coming. The fires...well, you are solely dependant on the firemen getting you out ahead of time...unless you choose to do so on your own. Kinda hard to do when you are asleep in the middle of the night and one of those things, just crops up. Just devastating.

You know fires are coming too, with more warning and more path prediction than a tornado.

Wildfires for the most part, pretty much don't just happen all of a sudden.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
In my opinion, the threat of fires is way overrated. In Moorpark, as an example, the hills north of downtown do have a higher risk of fire but the Mountain Meadows area (homes off Tierra Rejada) have very little fire risk and are walking distance to all the schools. Home prices range from low $300,000's to $1,000,000 or so giving a variety of options.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
That post takes me back to 2003, during the opening act of the Cedar Fire in San Diego County. Residents of Barona/Muth Valley were awakened at 3am by a massive fire bearing down on them... no warnings, no fire personnel, no nothing. 10 of them were burnt to death trying to escape.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That post takes me back to 2003, during the opening act of the Cedar Fire in San Diego County. Residents of Barona/Muth Valley were awakened at 3am by a massive fire bearing down on them... no warnings, no fire personnel, no nothing. 10 of them were burnt to death trying to escape.
That's very sad....and hard to hear about the firefighters that get trapped in the fires as well....fire is devastating and when you have one that is burning wihtout control....winds/temps etc....no amount of human control is possible. Just get out of the way.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
The Cedar Fire was the largest and one of the most destructive in California history. It's almost a miracle no more than 15 people died. I remember watching it on TV, and how the fire just leaped from house to house, but in such a random pattern. Entire housing tracts were ablaze. So scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles