Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 3,113 times

Advertisements

Help me settle a meaningless and friendly argument with a friend.

I’ve lived in LA for years and am embarrassed I don’t know the answer.

If you live in Woodland Hills (91364), which is within the city of Los Angeles, does the city listed on your drivers license & mailing address need to be "Woodland Hills", or can you freely choose “Los Angeles” without experiencing delayed mail or other issues?

Some online seem to speculate the city listed has to be whatever the USPS Postal Service wants, but I want to hear from those who have actually lived in Woodland Hills.

E.g.

123 Fake St, Woodland Hill CA 91234

123 Fake St, Los Angeles CA 91234
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:12 PM

14,426 posts, read 11,892,967 times
OK, I have a friend in Woodland Hills and I asked her. This was the response:

"It [driver's license] says Woodland Hills, but if you used the mail with the zip code 91364 it would probably reach me even if it said Los Angeles. We’re in LA City Council District 3.

My understanding is that unless an area in LA County has a separate local government like Pasadena or Long Beach, it’s technically in [the city of] LA."

Old Today, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 3,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

"It [driver's license] says Woodland Hills, but if you used the mail with the zip code 91364 it would probably reach me even if it said Los Angeles. We’re in LA City Council District 3.

My understanding is that unless an area in LA County has a separate local government like Pasadena or Long Beach, it’s technically in [the city of] LA."
Hey thank you for this!

Old Today, 02:54 PM

12,485 posts, read 8,267,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

If we are talking about the post office that services the address, and thus the preferred name the USPS wants you to use, then no its not addressed as Los Angeles unless it is a 900 zip code. That is the City of LA and much of unincorporated LA County in the basin. The post office wants you to use Woodland Hills in this situation in the valley and the 91 zip codes.

The other cities in the basin the 902's zip codes may or may not have a slice of unincorporated LA County in their postal zones. I know that there are streets inside of City of Los Angeles limits that carry the Culver City name and zip code as they are delivered like the City of Los Angeles Housing Authority's Mar Vista Gardens Housing Projects at 11965 Allin St, Culver City, CA 90230. Folks living there trying to access city services often have to argue with new LA City employees because they see 90230 Culver City address and go into not our problem mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles