Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 PM

12 posts, read 27,824 times

Advertisements

First of I would like to say thanks again. Prior to my relocation to Los Angeles I found a lot of helpful links regarding employment here. So here we go.

I've been in South Pasadena/ Alhambra for a month and a half already and I notice very few whites but have yet to see any blacks, but I didn't think much other than maybe California blacks only want to live around their own kind? "keep in mind I'm from a town in the south that's 45% black and 55% white with no other ethnicities so I have grew to be comfortable around blacks since we did go to school together and I also have/had several black friends. But anyway I've been on my job as a property manger for a month now, which I love by the way.

So Here's what happened. Me and my boss had a meeting today, I was thinking it was about a holiday bonus or something since I was the only one to come in today. However it was disappointing. My Boss informed me about my proposed tenant applications in Monterey Park and asked why was I proposing a credit and background check on 3 of my selected applicants "he also showed me copies of the proposed tenants license".

I informed him that I met with these people at the property in Monterey Park which seemed like good tenants. He then informed me that on the Income area the jobs didn't state any specific that would make these people qualify. I didn't understand, since one of the ladies worked as a supervisor at a specific company that she has been at for 10 years. No BS My boss laughed and said you mean to tell me that your from Alabama and don't understand where im going with this? He told me that these type of people have American last names, and you need to hold the application and don't send it for approval unless they work for law enforcement, or a federal agency. I asked him so why is that? He laughed "Seriously". They are not allowed to rent in the San Gabriel Valley, especially there.
I asked why and he told me no one rents to those type out here unless they meet the specific position requirements. At this time I could tell he was starting to look at me like oops I made a mistake on hiring you. So honestly I said ok. So no blacks unless they have the required position in employment? He said yes but you have to be careful, when they look like these type of people, pay attention to the last name.

I sucked it up but feel morally wrong. I didn't oppose since I love my job. But this is plain wrong, and NO my boss is NOT White!. I hate to have to turn down these people for these reasons.
Keep in mind this goes for all properties, and we have 49 in the SGV alone. Furthermore Its AGAINST THE LAW!! Also he never addressed them as "black people", I did. I'm thinking that's a way of him covering himself just incase.

So my question is how can I go about reporting this or put an end to it without losing my job? I really wanted to help a couple of people I met with especially the young lady.

Last edited by SouthernBlonde22; 12-27-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
You can call the housing authority and report him if you feel that strongly about the issue. They will investigate.

Btw. Paragraphs.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can call the housing authority and report him if you feel that strongly about the issue. They will investigate.

Btw. Paragraphs.
But then It would be an "all of a sudden investigation" He may think "after I hired Jody and informed her about not renting to a certain type of people I am now being investigated. Then there goes my job.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Btw. Paragraphs.

Furthermore why should I not feel strong about this issue? Do you not see the wrong in my Boss? Or are you like him as well? I been here a little over a month and notice immigrants are very racist towards blacks here. Us whites may be as well, but the ones I know here have not said anything bad about blacks.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Are you chinese by any chance? Is the company you work for Chinese?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
So he's fine with them if they work for the government ? Maybe you should say one works for the housing authority and see what he says .

Old 12-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So he's fine with them if they work for the government ? Maybe you should say one works for the housing authority and see what he says .
I can't they have all of the jobs listed on the applications that they filled out in which I submitted for approval. Besides they submitted check stubs, w-2 forms, and bank statements. They were all pre-qualified.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:07 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
If they are Asian then this is hardly shocking

Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
You should call the housing authorities and ask how this can be reported in a way that protects your job. I don't know how the boss would know it was you--the investigation may look like it was triggered by one of the applicants after they're turned down. Or, secure another job before reporting.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You should call the housing authorities and ask how this can be reported in a way that protects your job. I don't know how the boss would know it was you--the investigation may look like it was triggered by one of the applicants after they're turned down. Or, secure another job before reporting.
Yeah.

1. Get a new job away from this piece of crap.
2. Report him after you are secure in your new job. Dont let him get away with this bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles