Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times

Advertisements

I can understand the ant feeling so I don't want to knock the OP. It's just that the entertainment industry is supposed to make people feel that way to some extent. Some people aren't susceptible to it and some are.

But really how is it the entertainment industry? I see it as mire the rich people in professional industries like banking, law real estate and medicine. Reality show celebs more than real working actors. Those are the insufferable ones.

Also I don't like how people are characterizing the OP as a "whiner". People have legit grievances about dealing with the growing class divide. It shouldn't be seen as something to accept as normal.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Jonah K I don't get how your post was supposed to negate what trances was saying. Poor counter arguments.
Huh? My post wasn't meant to negate what the OP was saying. As I see it, the OP is merely whining about not being "rich", "famous", or a "celebrity" in Los Angeles and feeling "small" or "inadequate" because of it. However, the OP seems to possess a somewhat distorted view of Los Angeles and its people. The City of Los Angeles has a population of close 4 million people and Los Angeles County another 13 million or so. All of these folks aren't "rich", "famous", or "celebrities." Merely pointing out a few things that don't necessarily jibe with the OP's "blanket statements" concerning the people of Los Angeles wasn't intended to be a "counter argument."

Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
But he wasn't talking about the rest just the celebs. And he was proly mistaking the celebs for the flaunty rich ppl in other fields.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
This seems to be slightly more controversial than I expected. I think others have felt this way themselves, and have spent a lot of time rationalizing it, to make themselves feel better. I've also said before, I would not feel this at all in any other major city.

I like LA a lot. I don't like the feeling of being a "regular guy" in a sea of celebrities (whether they be actors, rockstars, rappers, or directors) any way you slice it. Your status can simply not be as high in LA as it can in another city. At the same time, it's arguably the most relevant and envied city in the world, and I find this very appealing. The majority if people in LA are not celebrities, but society has an obsession with celebrities.

Metaphorically, being in LA and not being a celebrity - you're just an unknown, behind-the-scenes extra.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,083 times
LA is the most envied city among the Snookie worshipers, only. Most people are not as consumed with celebrity as you are.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
LA is the most envied city among the Snookie worshipers, only. Most people are not as consumed with celebrity as you are.
Exactly what I was referring to earlier. LA has to be intentionally downplayed regarding importance. Usually involves some off-the-cuff pop culture joke, followed by "Only in LA".

LA is easily the "coolest" city in the country. More cities wish they were regarded as cool than not. Look at the contests on city-data over which city is "trendier, hip, liberal, etc". LA already is all of these things and more.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
This seems to be slightly more controversial than I expected. I think others have felt this way themselves, and have spent a lot of time rationalizing it, to make themselves feel better. I've also said before, I would not feel this at all in any other major city.

I like LA a lot. I don't like the feeling of being a "regular guy" in a sea of celebrities (whether they be actors, rockstars, rappers, or directors) any way you slice it. Your status can simply not be as high in LA as it can in another city. At the same time, it's arguably the most relevant and envied city in the world, and I find this very appealing. The majority if people in LA are not celebrities, but society has an obsession with celebrities.

Metaphorically, being in LA and not being a celebrity - you're just an unknown, behind-the-scenes extra.
I think you have not yet learned that the way you feel is not how everyone else feels. Others don't give a rip about celebrities and you just don't get that so YOU have to rationalize that people who don't feel like you do about celebrities are just covering up how crushed they are that they aren't Brad Pitt. Dude, seriously, a lot of people and I mean a lot, don't care about celebrities of any stripe and aren't impressed by them.

Your status consciousness is interesting. The only status I care about is the status I have in my world which doesn't include any industry people. Do I care that I walk into Starbucks and no one asks for my autograph, or I don't hear whispers of, "it's him, I know it's him"? Not in the slightest. That isn't status, that is recognition.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 PM

The nice thing is, you might get discovered in LA too by just being in the right place at the right time.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:16 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
The nice thing is, you might get discovered in LA too by just being in the right place at the right time.
Okay so now I now you are just a troll having fun since I don't think most people are trying to be discovered.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm not, and I still think the nature of this topic is misunderstood, or being intentionally misunderstood so people can proclaim how celebrities have "no effect" on them, although they live in the most celebrity-laden city in the world, bar none.

I could goto New York (Manhattan), and not feel like an "ant". Even around richer (or equally rich) people than what you'd find in Beverly Hills. The scenic beauty of LA, mountains, palm trees, and ocean, plus the architecture (a lot of art deco) are things I like. They are free as well. The architecture in New York...a bunch of old buildings.

There's just something about LA that makes you want that complete lifestyle that I've never come close to feeling anywhere else. There's this "X" factor about being rich in LA that other cities don't have about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles