Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM

10 posts, read 37,273 times

Advertisements

Whether or not you've been to the Old Bethpage Village Restoration, or whether you were did when you were a kid, remember liking it, not liking, it not caring about it, or love it and go once a month, I think most people that a reading this post would take some interest if it ever shut down. And as many of you know already, that is exactly what Tom Suozzi wants to do.

I will first state that I do not work directly with the finances of the county or the village, so I dare not state numbers or statistics, but I can speak from a common sense standpoint. And as a lifelong Long Islander that grew up in the town of Bethpage, I do know the terrible effects that would come about if it were closed, and, as would be the inevitable outcome of all this, divided up and sold to developers.

It is mostly worked by VOLUNTEERS. These are people who donate their time and efforts to better the community and enrich the lives of thousands of people who still find some interest in the history of Long Island. There isn't a tremendous amount of full time staff, certainly not enough to warrant laying them off and losing the REVENUE that the museum brings in - not just what is there now, but much more so, the money that could be there, if they only advertised the place and events, and made it a selling point for tourism on Long Island, like Williamsburg, or Mystic Village is for their respective states. What is there now is gross mismanagement, or bullying on the part of the Nassau County Legislature.

Really, how many family-friendly, open-space, historic, fun, romantic and inexpensive places are there left to visit on Long Island? This is the kind of place that makes living on Long Island worth anything in the first place. People don't even know about the events they have, and how it brings the community together - between the old-time baseball, and the fair, the civil-war reanactments, candlelight walks at holiday time, bonfires and hot cocoa, and the beautiful day out that is the village itself - this stuff is what people use to escape everyday life, to bring their families together. This is worth far more to the morale of the community than anything else, and on top of it, it could be made into a highly profitable venue - think about it - concerts, holiday feasts, fireworks... so much more could be done that would attract not only the history buffs, but the general population as well.

So... you could have a bustling, successful tourist destination that would bring cash flow into the Long Island economy, a place where Long Island merchants and the community and tourists could centralize, a place that locals could escape from the stress and sprawl of Nassau county, making it a much, much better place to live and visit, or... you could have more strip malls, more condos and more McMansions built on tenth of an acre plots. Please, if anyone that actually lives on this island can make a convincing argument to say how the majority of the population here would disagree with this, I would love to hear it. Our elected representative disagrees. So, really, is he representing us at all, or is he just interested in using the recession as an excuse to sell off the land so that he can get favors from powerful developers as he makes another run for the governorship? From a common sense angle, the answer seems pretty clear to me.

Why, when times are tough, do we run and hide when instead we can make modest investments to fight the recession by reorganizing and promoting and taking advantage of what is already there? Please... tell people about the place, reminisce about your times there, make the issue known, and do everyone a favor and take two minutes to write to one of our higher representatives, to make the issue known to them, and our feelings about it, as well, before it's too late, and well, there will be no more history worth keeping track of here...

The village website:
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Parks/Wheretogo/museums/central_nass_museum/old_bethpage_rest.html

A similar post on a civil war reenactment forum that pretty much illustrates the passion of those that have involved themselves in the village and its events:
http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=103333

And, from that post and its author, the names and addresses of the representatives that you may choose to contact:

Nassau County Executive Thomas R. Suozzi
1550 Franklin Avenue, Mineola, NY 11501
(516) 571-3131
Email: http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...ive/email.html

NY Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand
531 DIRKSEN SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-4451

NY Senator Charles E. Schumer
313 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-6542
Web Form: schumer.senate.gov/new_website/contact.cfm

Representative Timothy H. Bishop 202-225-3826 202-225-3143 http://timbishop.house.gov/?sectionid=96§iontree=796

Representative Steve J. Israel 202-225-3335 202-225-4669 http://www.house.gov/formisrael/contact.html

Representative Peter T. King 202-225-7896 202-226-2279 pete.king@mail.house.gov

Representative Carolyn McCarthy 202-225-5516 202-225-5758 http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Representative Gary L. Ackerman 202-225-2601 202-225-1589 http://www.house.gov/ackerman/pages/contact.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
I have enjoyed Old Bethpage Village many times. It's wonderful around Christmas and I also like seeing the old fashioned baseball games. I'll make sure to make another visit soon.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
I love to visit Old Bethpage Village. I am always surprised when I talk to people from LI who have never even heard of it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 AM

248 posts, read 873,090 times
We went for the first time this past winter for the holiday festivities and loved it there..want to go back in the spring, when they open again!!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
You can be sure I will be contacting elected officials on this and more. Tom Suozzi seems to give didley squat about preservation by this move. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 37,273 times
All - thanks for caring! There is a new petition that has been put online, I encourage you to consider signing it: Help Save Old Bethpage Village Restoration Petition

Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM

438 posts, read 831,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedSilver View Post
All - thanks for caring! There is a new petition that has been put online, I encourage you to consider signing it: Help Save Old Bethpage Village Restoration Petition
I signed it. I used to go there as a child growing up in Amityville. I want to bring my daughter there someday.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Let those who appreciate Old Bethpage Village Restoration voluntarily contribute to its financial survival.

Let it live or die on its own: it has no right for any sort of gov't subsidy, especially now when so many LIers are hurting financially.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Let those who appreciate Old Bethpage Village Restoration voluntarily contribute to its financial survival.

Let it live or die on its own: it has no right for any sort of gov't subsidy, especially now when so many LIers are hurting financially.
Although we are in tough economic times we should not abandon our county owned parks, particularly those of historic signifigance.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,705 times
What a sad state of affairs. Old Bethpage is one of the few places to go on Long Island that maintains an historical feel. Most Long Islanders don't realize the dearth of nice parks in the area, and the idea of losing one more is something that should not be tolerated. Walter, I feel that your take is very short sighted, as the fewer attractions an area boasts the less valued and valuable that area becomes. It is in all Long Islanders interest to fight this moronic idea, once a resource such as this is lost it cannot be regained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island