Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM

520 posts, read 1,652,757 times

Advertisements

How much would it cost to waterproof a basement in a ranch style house? I hear it is quite common in these basements and my house also seems to have some water damage. I was just curious on what the expense would be to have it sealed and waterproofed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,514 times
My wife and I finished our basement last spring. Have a three bedroom ranch, built in 1962.

We had two cracks on the rear basement wall, and one long crack on the floor. Everywhere I looked, contractor prices were over a $1000 just to seal the basement from the interior.

I brought a book and decided to do it myself, and attacked our leaks from the inside as well as the outside.

Went to Home depot and brought some epoxy-cement. Used a neighbor's electric jack-hammer.

Also rented a Black-hoe and dug out a trench on the exterior rear wall and placed tar and tar-paper.

Took one weekend. Total cost $100 in materials, $300 to rent backhoe.

Now seven months later, no leaks...............

Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM

93 posts, read 242,751 times
People in our neighborhood had great success with Corey's (waterproofing). Companies do not guarantee success and not all are capable. I'm sure the estimates are free. I think french drains are what they did...Basements don't flood but they have an area leak in 2500 sq. ft basement of 80 foot ranch.

Last edited by franaissance; 12-30-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM

431 posts, read 1,337,955 times
I have a Colonial.....originally a cape so my bsmt is the size of a cape.....anyways....it was partially finished when we bought the house but had a horrible musty odor.......the walls were never sealed properly.....We tore down everything......then we purchased from Home Depot a waterproofing sealant called UGL......

This stuff smells REALLY bad........but you roll it on as if you were painting and it covers great....

I dont remember having any cracks/or atleast any major ones but I'm sure you can put some type of caulking/sealer in there prior to coating the bsmt walls.......I'm pretty sure we did more than one coat (we did whatever was recommended) but we haven't had any issues ever since....and we finished 3/4's of the bsmt with drywall, carpeting and all that good stuff and used it as a family/play room.......we still run a dehumidifier because it is a bsmt but there's no moisture on the walls where the drywall isnt......and no signs of any moisture on the drywall......

Its worth looking into.....I think the big 5 gal drums were around $100 or something like that....(dont quote me on it though)......but alot less than having a pro come in.......

Suzanne

Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
We had 3 sump pumps that were constantly running b/c of our water problems (that doesn't include the times we had to get rid of the water that wasn't in the wells), but we were able eliminate them with something as simple as regrading our property and making sure the water from the gutters drained further away from the house.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Addressing moisture penetration fron the inside of the basement is a very bad idea. The only way to address water penetration is from the outside of the foundation.

Or let the water in and pump it out with a french drain system.

Many of the water penetration issues have nothing to do with the foundation and everything to do with grade, placement of trees/shrubs and gutter systems.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 AM

99 posts, read 729,940 times
I agree with KB...fixing a leak from the inside is actually doing more harm than good. Check gutters and pitch of your soil next to house..water must drain away.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 AM

I will definitely check all gutters and also change the pitch of the ground to change the direction of water flow. Aside from changing the grade of the surrounding area what else can I do?

Does anyone have any idea to have the outside waterproofed if it needed it?

Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times
My last house (block cement-floored crawlspace foundation) had water intrustion (seepage) in the northeast corner of the crawlspace. I called Harbor Waterproofing (they're in Nassau, I think Bellmore? somewhere around there) to come over and do an estimate. Their two suggestions were (a) digging out the outside of the foundation and sealing it with Sodium Bentonite, and (b) doing that plus putting a French drain and pump on the inside. The cost differential between (a) and (b) was considerable, so I decided to just have them do the Sodium Bentonite and see if that solved the problem. If not, I'd then go to (b) although they said it would be cheaper if I had both done at once. However, the first option did solve the problem.

Of course that was combined with what others have suggested, most important being proper grading, and to get all raingutter runoff as far away from the foundation as possible. The normal 12" long splashblocks don't do nearly enough. You need to get it about 3 or 4 feet away from your foundation before it goes into the ground. You can find long downspout extensions at Lowe's, Home Depot, and online. What I did in my corner was to have my landscaper tie the downspout into an underground pipe that ran out 4 ft from the house and then into a small drywell. It cost about $250 to have that done.

That said... if a high water table is the root cause of the problem, none of the above will really solve it. If water is coming in from the foundation floor, you can regrade and divert downspouts until the cows come home and not stop that intrusion. We've seen a few houses in Hauppauge (which in many many areas has a high water table and underground springs) that have French drain/pump setups in the basement.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 AM

Does anyone know of any reputable waterproofing companies that I can call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island